Spark arrestor/chimney cap question

My home inspector told me that I needed spark arrestors/chimney caps on the two chimneys for the house I'm about to buy. One chimney is for an oil furnace. The other chimney is for a wood-burning fireplace, but the current owner put in a gas fireplace that does not need venting (and I don't intend to ever burn wood in that fireplace). So, neither one of these are producing embers. Do I really need chimney caps?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob in CT

Bob,

This is a question for the home inspector. Ask him. There may be a local code requirement. I agree that you don't currently need a spark arrestor but chimney caps are a good idea to keep birds out.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

And buy a stainless steel cap. Not the junky ones at the big box store.

Reply to
Art