Sound on my new radio is muffled.

Absolutely incomprehensible. I suppose it would have been too expensive for them to post a picture of the things ACTUALLY IN USE WITH A HUMAN EAR...

Reply to
The Real Bev

I couldn't get used to those and would always be losing them. The behind the ear with the receiver in ear has been great. The "tube" is a wire and the little bump on the end id the "speaker" that a silicone "cone" fits on. I have "retention wires" that help hold the receiver (speeker) in the ear - they are plastic

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Your description matches the "sports lock" for my ReSound hearing aids (which are also behind the ear, with silicone cone fitting into the ear canal). When I bought them, I was told that the fully in the ear models required replacing batteries every few days and only the behind the ear models could accommodate wireless recharging batteries. I think battery technology has improved and now there are in-the-ear models that feature wireless rechargeable batteries. I'll stick to the behind the ear models. I too would worry about the fully in the ear models falling out and getting lost.

I've been plagued with positional shift of the cone and loss of optimal hearing improvement. Two days ago I visited my audiologist and we're trying two modifications. The medium cone was swapped out for a large (bigger diameter) cone and a sports lock has been added. So far, major improvement. Instead of repositioning the cone almost every hour, I only needed to reposition it once yesterday. (Previously tried custom made plastic piece molded to the shape of my canal instead of the silicone cone. For my anatomy, much more slipping than with the silicone cone. Oh well, the custom molded earpiece only cost $30.)

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

No. I don't think so.

Interesting.

Well, here is the end of the first chapter:

I'm still going to talk to the manufacturer about what equalizer settings work best, or any physical improvement like changing the speakers, or stuffing with foam,

but two nights ago I bought a patch cable for the L & R Line OUts that plugs into the AUX on the rdio above it, and now the sound is pretty good, certainly good enough for me (who has a tin ear which is why it's surprising this radio wasn't good enough for me.) The cable merges L & R so even though I paid extra for stereo speakers, it's monaural.

In addition, this means I can leave the internet radio on all night, with the sound turned down to zero, and use the Sleep function of the second radio, so it will turn off after an hour or two. On the internet radio, the Sleep function** disables almost all the controls and doesn't let me watch the name of the songs being played or see the graphic that comes with each station or each song. That's just entertaining enough to keep my attention but not enough to keep me awake. **It just displays the time, which is boring.

The second radio, the Sangean WR-22, has very little tone control, but I pressed a button my mistake and found that 3 years ago when I got it, I had set the bass to -3 and the treble to +1. Simple, small changes, and I've been happy with that.

Back to the internet radio using its own speakers, I've only played a few songs. The music is probably okay, but the lyrics are muffled, muddled, or muddy. So even they are better through the other radio.

I know I'm not following the advice of people who said to send it back but I didn't find a better replacement, also with presets. Maybe there is one but I'm tired of looking.

Thanks all. I couldn't have done it withou' you.

Reply to
micky

At least there is some. :-) I may have a second thread coming and I'll include them.

Reply to
micky

Wonder if polarity is reversed on one channel of your original source?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It still sounds like the "radio" is seriously defective or a piece of junk, that you are kludging to make it "usable". I would send it back in a moment.

Reply to
Bob F

Retirednoguilt snipped-for-privacy@fakeaddress.com wrote in news:uf1e7d$34f5u$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I use in the ear. Some models can recharge. Mine don't. I just carry extra batteries in my pocket. They have never fallen out. When I tried behind the ear (no locks) I could lose them. Also the microphone was above the ear and required special alignment with my phone. Also the in the ear models are siple pop ins. No repositioning needed to get the little speaker at the same distance as yesterday. There are trade offs with everything. I need the in the ear due to the leval of loss in my ears.

Thank you all for sharing the good information!

Reply to
David LaRue

Wow. Didn't it used to be a tube, 40 years ago maybe? I mostly watch tv from the 60's and use other information from the 60's too.

Uh huh.

I'll keep my eyes open.

Reply to
micky

I think I have ears with extra grease, or wax. :-)

By which you mean, you have greater loss than some people and the intheear are more powerful???

Reply to
micky

micky snipped-for-privacy@fmguy.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That is correct. in the ear is generally needed when more than 70db is needed. That may have changed somewhat, but I've not discussed the subject with my audiologist.

Reply to
David LaRue

I have a couple friends with rather profound hearing loss who find the behind the ear (reciever in ear) OPNs VERY effective with custom molded ear pieces

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I know but I checked and I was right. This one doesn't have it.

Reply to
micky

If you have "Radio" preset, then use it. It is close to "Telephone", but "Telephone" cuts out both the high and low frequencies. It's perfect for listening to human voice.

These are the screen grabs of the equalizer in my computer. I have posted them to a free image hosting site:

"Telephone" preset:

"Radio" preset:

invalid unparseable

On 22 Sep 2023 18:36:58 GMT, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

+1 Good one!
Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz

On 22 Sep 2023 23:00:58 GMT, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

It's what between them?

Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz

Why do people purchase "Internet Radios"? If you have a smartphone, laptop, or desktop you already own a beyond fully featured "Internet Radio" that you can update or tweak to always ensure that it will work.

Reply to
Mike Mocha