Material (putty/caulk) used to seal off outdoor cables entering house

I had to run an outdoor ethernet cable into my house in the hole where my electric comes from the power pole, the cable wire, and the ground wire enter the house. The caulk/putty sealing the opening is something I've never seen before its like silly putty, rubberized, self-sealing...like a thicker, stickier, more durable version of plumbers putty.

Can anyone guide me here so I can seal it back up?

Reply to
ArghArgh

Can't help you on that specific point, but just a reminder, if you didn't... to "loop" the cables _below_ the entrance hole so water drips to the ground instead of flowing into the house (well, into the seal)

Reply to
danny burstein

Good point and thanks...surprisingly the power cable, the cable wire and the ground have no loops. Solid electrical work there :-(

Reply to
ArghArgh

Commonly called 'monkey shit' in the trade....

Reply to
rbowman

The commonly used product for that purpuse is called Parker DuxSeal.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Also Duct Seal or Thumbgrade.

Years ago I was having trouble locating any and I called the factory (wasn't Parker but I forget what it was.) They found me an old timer who knew the details, he was interesting to talk to. I was thinking I could make a small quantity myself. He explained it was made infrequently in small batches of about 1000 pounds, and consisted of clay and a binder of some type of oil in proprietary amounts, mixed and extruded under pressure. He called it thumb grade.

Then Home Depot started carrying it.

10 Meter air pistol competitors use it for practice. It stops a low powered pellet silently and captures any possible lead dust.
Reply to
TimR

I probably need something like this. I haven't gotten on my hands and needs, but there must be a hole somewhere becuase I've had mice and bugs get into the house.

However:

effective 4/1/2016 Existing stock only available.

What about any vinyl caulk? Or silicone caulk? Or just about anything?

Reply to
micky

They no longer sell Boraxo Powdered Hand Soap either. Apparently the mules died. That worked when nothing else did, especially in the summer. I know about waterless hand cleaners, but I liked Boraxo better and I only have a quarter of a container left.

Reply to
micky

Amazon has it -- $225 for a 5 lb. box. Sweet Jesus...

Reply to
rbowman

Search for "Boraxo Powdered Hand Soap"

Reply to
Bob F

Yeah, I did. That's how I could tell they don't make it anymore (Okay, I said "sell". I should have said "make". They do sell new old stock. Amazon has a container for $40, what used to sell for $4. It's not worth that much. )

Reply to
micky

Thankfully I have a lifetime supply of at leart 2 lbs - not going to lrell anyone where I have it hidden now that I know it has to last the rest of my life!!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Good idea. I think there is a Ductseal gang working out of Montreal.

Reply to
micky

I found multiple brands selling something they describe as it.

Bob F

Amazon has it, $12 a pound.

Home Depot may still carry it. You need it for explosion rated electrical.

Reply to
TimR

It is used on explosion proof wiring in "seal-off" fittings. It is packed around wires so when plaster is added to the fitting the plaster only fills the fitting. The seal is plaster.

It is also used to seal around wires in conduit going from warm to cold locations. Warm humid air can condense water out if it gets to a cold section.

according to Google, 1 lb of "Duct Seal" 12.28 Amazon 4.71 HomeDepot

Reply to
bud--