Someone help me please! A/C questions

Graingers McMaster-Carr Me HVAC supply house

This is not a job recommended for an amateur, and it helps to be able to identify and test the capacitors in the system before rushing out to buy new ones.

Reply to
Checkmate

Catalina,

You did not tell us what the final repair was nor how much it cost..... Please let us know!!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

I think she may have meant that the suggested "blessing" was done and she's waiting for the repairman.

Reply to
trader_4

After you get it fixed and running, don't continue to neglect basic maintenance- you mentioned past due filter and corroded thermostat battery terminals in your current setup.

Also, when was the last time you changed the oil in your car ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Good advice, but I'd take bets it has nothing to do with the current problem. With neither the compressor nor the condenser fan running, it sounds like voltage is not getting to the compressor or fan, either from the AC side or from the 24V control side.

Reply to
trader_4

Please post your Area and what it costs in that area.

Reply to
Vincent

And let me know if it was a component in the control circuit (including possibly the capacitor)...

Reply to
Checkmate

Dust Bowl, USA and the average is $99 - $129.

Reply to
Catalina

It was a reset button on the fan near the compressor. When he first opened it, I asked where it was, and he looked and said it didn't have one. Then he went inside to the thermostat, the back to the blower a couple of times. Everything checked out. Then he looked down into the fan and said, "you're not going to believe this", and I took a couple of step back, thinking he was going to pull a boa out. He pulled the fan out, and hit the reset button. He said it was the most difficult and dangerous place to put one. He reminded me to pull this switch to kill the power, before attempting it. He said it would have started the fan and could cut off your fingers or worse. He was here less than 15 minutes, and that including sending be an invoice to my email.

Reply to
Catalina

I figured it was likely in the controls. On a really hot day when everyone is using their air conditioners, your line voltage can drop below normal limits. That's likely what tripped the reset button, which is basically a thermal overload device. Hopefully, he charged you for just a normal service call, and if it happens again, you'll know what to do. Pretty stupid for someone to install it where they did, though.

Reply to
Checkmate

Still doesn't seem to fit the reported symptoms though. If it was a reset on the condenser fan, then the unit should have still started, run for a couple minutes, then shut off when the compressor pressure got too high. And if you let it cool off, should repeat that cycle. But at least the repair guy was honest, there are crooks out there that would have tried to sell a new system. What was the bill?

Reply to
trader_4

It may or may not be the capacitor, however, You might want to get off your high horse there pardner. There's a new thing out there called the internet, with a dozen companies ready to sell you the capacitor you need for your air conditioner. Even Ebay and Amazon have the capacitor you may need. Getting the right part number is the proper start. Here's a random search on Ebay for Compressor/Fan capacitor.

Just the fan section of the dual capacitor on my compressor crapped out, I subbed in a cap from a squirrel cage fan I had in my shed until the proper part I order off the internet arrived.

Reply to
amdx

Eat shit amdx. Nobody said that it was the capacitor and the owner wanted immediate cooling. As per your many many f***ed up past postings, You seem destined to shoot your face off in a Pro group. Take your babble back to the Homeowners. Maybe you can get some of them hurt or worse with bad advice. By the way, my business covers parts of 3 states for HVAC.

Reply to
Leper

Back at ya Leper, you are the one in the wrong.

Nobody said that it was the capacitor and the

Reply to
Bill

You posted:

"Well Genius... Where does a citizen purchase the needed capacitor without an account? They are not available just anywhere other then Wholesale Dealers."

Do you lie to your customers like that too? Either you're lying or you're really not very knowledgeable, one or the other.

Reply to
trader_4

"Checkmate" wrote: in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.altopia.com...

Strange you would mention that. The original guy never called back for

3 days, and by then I re-hired the guy that promised to come out on day two. Long story short, while I was waiting for him to show up, I thought I would go to my neighbors house, 2 doors down. I stopped when I saw an A/C vehicle in the driveway, and putting the whole system at the curb.

Then, that all happened on Monday and Tuesday, and on Thurs., my electric went out for no apparent reason. Never had a power outage like this. I went outside, and all my neighbors across the street had power, then looked at my side of the street and it was completely dark, and stayed that way for hours. . .

My guy treated me great, and I will call him again.

Although the company I first called offered my 2 free a/c visits and a plumbing visit for their mess up.

Reply to
Catalina

They'd just pad their bill and get it out of you one way or another. Nothing is "free" in this world.

Reply to
Checkmate