Solder or crimp ??

I've done crimps with hammer and anvil, on occasion.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can't add much to what others have said comparing general crimp to solder. But lets get back to the question about Anderson Power Pole terminals. I use them extensively with my Ham equipment, operating from

13.8 volt DC power supplies and auto electrical systems.

I've found that Anderson Power Pole connections get hot from contact resistance when they carry high current, say 20 Amps or so continuous. If they are soldered, I do not believe the temperature would be so high that the solder could melt. However the higher temperature might tend to cause oxidation of the solder.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

The problem with lead/tin solder is that it is not a great conductor. A good crimp puts the wire in direct contact with the silver plating of the contact.

Silver solder might be a lot better, but for the 350amp contacts we used, the cost would be prohibitive. (Even lead/tin solder in the quantities we would have needed would have been expensive.)

Reply to
philo

Haven't scrutinized this whole thread... but do know in aerospace crimping is preferred in most cases, but solder is both needed and used in some situations.

As a side note...

The above poster mentions AC43.13-1b... this is a publication put out by the FAA. The 'AC' stands for 'Advisory Circular'(even though in this case the printed version is a book). PDF copies are freely available for download from the FAA website, along with hundreds if not thousands of other advisory circulars & handbooks. Even though their main focus is aircraft, they contains loads excellent BS/advertizing free information.

For more wiring/soldering/crimping info, also go to NASA's site and find a PDF of:

NASA-STD-8739.4

It's also free. (If you have trouble finding it there, just Google it... it's all over the web) Like the FAA, NASA also has a ton of technical PDF's up... look through them while your there.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Not hardly. Cat crimps and solders wire terminations, as you mentioned, on circuit boards, as well in as but splices, ring terminals and similar, military connectors, ITT Cannon (Sure Seal) connectors and a few others.

They only crimp terminations in all Deutsch connectors and some other lesser used connectors.

Due to the quantity of wires in the Deutsch connectors versus all the other terminations approx. 60% are crimped only and 40% are crimped and soldered.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Tell your future son-in-law to look at the engineering spec for soldering that is listed on all harness drawings. If that contradicts anything I've said I owe you a beer. If not, you owe me a beer. Deal?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

That's why a proper soldered joint is first crimped. Solder holds and seals the connection. That's the way I was taught.

I can make some pretty poor soldering at times, but I can also use proper technique. I passed a NASA soldering school class.

Who says a solder connection does not need proper strain relief to prevent vibration failure.

I have soldered large battery cables using hundreds of watts, as well as

1.5 mm caps to boards.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

That's what I learned in NASA soldering school, keeping wire from wicking.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

When I had a chevy cavalier, I had to redo the multiple crimped connector under the battery holder. Soldered or crimped, it's a manufacturer FAULT to put connections under batteries. Do they HEAR me ????

Greg

Reply to
gregz

What job or project was that? How many quantities?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Years ago, I did use NoAlOx, on a thermostat. With .250 push on terminals. I came back a couple months later, the terminals had corroded and were useless. Changed to dielectric grease. That seemed to work better. Not sure what it is, with the grey stuff in the squirt tube.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My parents had a Chrysler Imperial LeBaron. We finally found the problem, it would go dead at random moments. The problem was the bullet connectors, to the fusible links, near the battery. Dad would get out and wiggle them, and the car would then start up and be fine for a while

In the early 1970's, the made for TV show, Emergency! had a similar problem with the squad truck, I think the episode was called "Breakdown". Wish I could go back and tell them, then, what the problem likely was.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

my van had a problem with the resistor pack for the blower speed control. the connections would overheat and get flakey. after several failures i soldered the wires to the resistor bank connections.

no more troubles this repair outlasted the van

Reply to
bob haller

I had to do the same to several connections on both the TranSport and the Mystique. Due to crappy connectors, not due to crimped connectors.

Reply to
clare

NoAlOx is for ALUMINUM connections, not tinned prass (or bare brass either)

Reply to
clare

Since I was in the industrial battery business I'd replace or install close to 1000 connectors a year. Since Enersys itself is a world wide company they used hundreds of thousands of connectors a year...more than likely , over a million.

Reply to
philo

Working on that scale, I can imagine the solder, torch, power for the soldering iron and so on. That would add up after a while. I do a couple dozen crimps a year, and max of 15 amp rating or so. For me to get out a torch and some silver solder is no big expense.

Thanks for sharing a bit more about the, uh, "big picture" of what you were doing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Our "radio guy" for all the state 2-way radios installs them with crimped connections as far as hooking them into the car electrical system, no soldering.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Putting aside vibration issues, I've always viewed the solder as insurance against corrosion. I have found crimps that were bad due to corrosion when used in exposed to weather areas. Never found a problem when they were soldered in such use.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Really, that must be why when they bury wires they just crimp them and call it good......

Reply to
Ashton Crusher