Snow makes motion sensor turn on

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:25:05 -0700, "Bob M." wrote:

It always worked good until last night. There are no cars, this is a rural area and it's pointed into my back yard on my shed. Normally the only time it went on was when I walked up to the shed, but a few times I saw it go on from my cat or from wild animals. I know that's normal, and I have the time set to only about one minute of on time. Last night I could not sleep because it stayed on for hours until I finally got dressed and went out into the cold to shut the darn thing off. It was snowing heavily. I do agree they more sensitive in winter. Last week we had severe cold and it did not come on at all when I went to the shed to grab firewood. Thats the main reason for this light, so I can see what I am doing when I go for firewood at night. I also noticed that when it was extremely cold, that switching the switch on and off quickly did NOT keep the thing lit like it's supposed to do. I know it was pissing me off because I was trying to stack some wood and the light kept going off. I even thought at that time that I may have to install the second light so it's just on a switch so I can keep it turned on when I want it. The fixture is made for TWO bulbs. I only have a bulb in one of them. I dont need two. I dont see why I cant run a switched wire directly to the second one, and disconnect it from the sensor. That "stay on" feature dont work very well. But then I'm pretty much back to where I was in the first place, I have to make an extra trip back to the shed to shut off the light after all the firewood is hauled in the house. If I shut off the light before I leave with the wood, I am likely to trip on something and fall on my butt like I used to do before I installed the light.

I'm starting to think these lights are not as good as the advertising for them. They are not very reliable.... Now that the snow stopped I cant really mess with the adjustment so the snow dont activate it.... If it wasn't so darn far to dig, I think I'd just run extra wires to the shed and put a 3 way switch in the house, and take this toy back to the store.

Reply to
Mike Ryan

changing it. The manual is not very useful or detailed.

Hmmm...trying to remember. One sets the amount of time the light is on. One sets the ambient light level for operation. Guess the third one is the "sensitivity"...but, as others have indicated, that may be a distance-based adjustment. The units I'm thinking of are up at the cottage...about 300 miles away. :)

I know there's one there that is "tender" when the wind blows because there's a large plant below it and a flag on the corner of the house. I haven't chosen to go up the ladder and fiddle with it. I just turn it off.

Reply to
cavedweller

They must be very sensitive.

Mine is only good for about 15 feet.

Reply to
mm

You're right. That's not a good idea. Most manauls are written by communists or islamo-fascists.

Reply to
mm

So when I see a glow on the horizon from here, I know I'm not there.... ;)

Reply to
cavedweller

Even those used in banks fail so it is possible this one's time is up & just needs to be replaced.

Reply to
Bob M.

replying to Edwin Pawlowski, Pigspen70 wrote: .. Ed ~ I LIKE Your answer ~ it is Accurate, Makes Sense, And to the point.

Reply to
Pigspen70

Per Mike Ryan:

How is it acting now that the snow has stopped?

I've been through several that keep coming on once temperatures drop beyond a certain point..... i.e. they work during summer months, but tend to stay on during winter.

Spent the big bucks on replacement sensors of a different brand (and type?), but still having the problem.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Mine continually 'detect' motion ever since the popwer company installed the new power meter close by.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

The OP may have solved the problem -- a decade ago.

Reply to
Father Time

It sure did -- a decade ago. Sheesh.

Reply to
Father Time

I sure hope it hasn't been snowing for 10 straight years.

I spent some time in Alaaka, not too far from the Artic Circle. Even we had summer.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Oren wrote in news:ugk9bch6s3v7tkohl0k65oub6f3g33gf0q@

4ax.com:

But that was just during the hotest part of the day. Not the whole day, right?

Reply to
BillyBobT