Snow Blower Maintanence

I got an Atlas Snowblower from my Great Uncle. It is about 7 years old and i don't he has used it the last few years. Is there any type of maintanence that should be done to a 2 stroke, other than changing the spark plug. Also, i tried searching the internet for atlas snow blower info, but couldn't find any. Are they still around or did someone buy them up. Thanks in advance, i don't want to get stuck shoveling now that i have it.

Reply to
John Sheehy

On 1/11/2005 10:08 PM US(ET), John Sheehy took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Atlas is probably a rebranded blower from another manufacturer. Maybe Murray, MTD, or some other mfg. that makes equipment for chain stores, like WalMart, K-Mart, or the franchise hardware stores (Ace, TruValue). I bought my first garden tractor from Agway (a franchise farm supply store). It was branded a 'Southern States', but it was a Murray. You didn't say whether the blower works, but if it has been laying around for a couple of years, the first thing I would do is to clean the old gas mixture out and refill it with fresh fuel. If it runs, just do the regular maintenance required of all gas motorized equipment: Spark plug, air filter, lubrication, fan belts, if equiped, etc. Did your Great Uncle keep the user manual?

Reply to
willshak

It does work but I want to keep it that way, and since I was never around when he first got it, I'm not really sure if it ran any smoother or not. There is no user manual with it. I think i'm going to open it up and see if there are any engine markings to find more info on service / maintenance. Thanks for the reply, i couldn't figure out who made this damn thing.

Reply to
John Sheehy

These suppliers may be able to help.

Good luck!

Reply to
Avery

After about five years of service, my Toro (also a two cycle machine) needed a drive belt. I checked my usual suppliers, but they didn't have it. Had to get it at a local Toro shop. Might need a belt, some snow blowers use a chain. If it uses a chain, oil or grease the chain.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Never heard of that brand but all gas engines need a tuneup after a few yrs plugs,wires,filter,adjust the carb stuff like that.they say if a gas lawnmower or snow blower wont start after 3 pulls of the cord needs repair.most new ones always start after 2 pulls.

Reply to
PoCambo