I had the pleasure of waking up this morning to a smoke detector downstairs
blaring its noxious noise for short and odd intervals. I already knew the one
upstairs was just hardwired in; no battery to check, so I assumed this one was
as well. I called the nonemergency number for the fire department and the
fellow suggested I either change the battery and, if that didn't correct it,
they could send a truck out.
Well, I don't think I need a fire truck. There's no smoke! And, after I
physically climbed up on a ladder to check it, there's no battery either. I
ended up just vacuuming it out of desperation which seems to have calmed it down
for the moment.
Anybody have any experience with this? It's a rental so I'm not inclined to get
too involved in home improvements if I can help it.
Most of the time it is the battery or dust. Batteries tend to go low on
voltage when they get cold, so they usually cause problems at night. I
really suspect there is a battery there somewhere. If it does not have a
battery, you should replace the unit as fires have a bad habit of occurring
when or actually causing a power outage so without a battery you may find
you have no alarm at all. Also alarms should be replaced every 5-10 years
anyway. They become less sensitive and less reliable.
On Mar 15, 6:19 am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com>
My wired-together AC-powered detectors did have a battery- but usually
a 'chirp' is played for a low battery.
I had an old detector just go south on my, did just what you say.
Randomly played the alarm for a few seconds at a time at odd
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 06:19:56 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
<mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:>I had the pleasure of waking up this morning to a smoke detector downstairs
They don't have cars. They always come in a truck.
No smoke that you can see or smell. That doesn't at all mean there is
AIUI, dust usually prevents it from noticing smoke when it should, not
the other way around.
And a dying battery won't blare, and won't wake anyone up except the
lightest sleeper. Nor will a detector with a dying battery beep at
odd intervals, but at regular intervals starting at one or more day
Actually, you have a deprovement, because you used to have a working
detector and no fire. So if I were in your shoes, I'd want to get
back to normal.
One of my neibhors had a fire that did a lot of damage. Their
detector beeped every once in a while like yours, but they too thought
htey had no fire. Turned out the clock in their stove was smouldering
and sending out smoke particles, not enough for a person to smell.
One night it burned into flames, took the room with it and headed
upstairs. The fire and water damage was in the 10's of thousands.
At the very least, buy yourself a second detector, and run both of
them. Because I'm a curious guy, I'd put them both in the same room
for the first 2 or 3 weeks.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.