Smoke Alarms beeping. Any ideas ???

Don't think it can be the easy one. low batteries as they are hard wired in to the power. They are located in our Stairwell in our building. One is right at my door and has a high pitched SCREECH :(

They seem to be going off at the same time one after another. Not all of them just some of them.

I was thinking maybe they were left in a TESt mode or something. As iam pretty sure Smoke alarms don't make noise till they need to :)

Any ideas.

Going to call our buildings Strata, people who look after the building to get it fixed anyways. Just like to know your thought son the matter :)

Thanks.

Reply to
Home Theatre Guy

Even wired-in detectors have batteries. That way if the house loses power and a fire starts, you are protected. They may be wired to all go off together. That is an option.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I'd find the non-emergency phone number for the Fire Department and ask them unless you have a station house nearby.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I don't know about yours, but I've seen hard-wired units that also have backup batteries. They beep when the battery is low.

Greg Guarino

Reply to
Greg Guarino

So you think theirs batterys for backup. And the beeping is the alrm telling me to put batteries in :)

Sounds logical.

Reply to
Home Theatre Guy

Ive got the same one in my place and guess what :)

I opened it up and yes it does have a battery. Might be onto something here. Got to give someone a ring in the morning. The one outside my door is driveing me insane.

I come home to relax and Beep Beep beep AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Sorry.

Thanks for the help.

If they don't fix it within a few days iam swinging 2 by 4's at it i SWEAR :)

See ya's.

Reply to
Home Theatre Guy

It is in fact the batteries, I think they are really 110v backup, IOW they run on batteries, unless the power goes out. Mine lasted 18 mo, then *beep*

Reply to
yourname

Must loose charge even when not using them :(

Like all batteries realy.

Got to get it fixed.

Thanks all.

Reply to
Home Theatre Guy

my 1 year old detector started beeping the other day, interesting it has a 10 year battery, It said on the back below air around openings if unit beeps.

i did and it hasnt made a chirp since.

perhaps some dust was generated in the area and made the units unhappy?

Reply to
hallerb

Cheap ones are often affected by very high humidity.

Reply to
davelangley

If changing the batteries does not help, it might just be tiny insects crawling inside them. Spray a whiff of something like RAID on the ceiling around them, but not directly into their openings please.

That's worked for me...and more than just once...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Well, we know the instruction message is back, below the air openings. But please tell us what you did in response to the problem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon