Smoke alarm goes off when it's cold (?)

I don't know how that's possible. All the home smoke detectors I've seen use photo sensing or ionization to look for smoke and don't respond to temperature changes. A humidifier shouldn't be tripping it either, it just puts humidity in the air. However a cold attic with missing insulation that results in a cold ceiling and a cold smoke detector and a humidifier turned up too high could result in moisture condensing inside the smoke detector. And water and electronics don't mix well.

Reply to
trader_4

Some do respond to temperature changes.

But badly designed ones can produce steam.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I so agree. If my house gets below 73F my alarms do the low battery chirp, and of course it’s in the middle of the night when you’re all snuggled in and sound asleep. The batteries are new so it’s not this. I blow my smoke detectors out cause I have furry dogs. I called my local fire depts (2!) and they both said they have never heard of this. But, come to my house around 3am when it gets to 68 degrees and listen to my smoke detectors chirp with fresh batteries in them. Bas___ds!!!

Reply to
DJHueneburg

Given the price of smoke detectors, I have a simple solution. If one goes off, they all go off but if you cannot narrow it down, you know what to do.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Per Ed's suggestion. Consumer Reports has them in this order. First Alert 3120B, $30. Score 91 Kidde P12010, $30. Score 91 First Alert SA320CN, $23. Score 87 Universal Security Instruments AMIB3051SC, $35. Score. 87 Kidde P19010, $25. Score 87 These are all dual sensor alarms.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Good point. I just told, further down, a story about one neighbor. but

25 years ago there was another neibhgor, whose smoke alarm kept beeping. He said that he took it to be repaired (although I don't know who repaired them, then or now.) and while it was out, he had a fire.

It turned out something was smouldering**, maybe a cigarette in a sofa?, and finally caught fire.

Beeping and chirping are not the same, but maybe the OP should get a totally separtate smoke alarm and see what it has to say. While he still has the chirping one.

Reply to
micky

Yup, i bought all new ones, these are going in the trash. We had a temp change and the one with a brand new 10 year date alkaline is the one that’s doing the low battery chirp. The bedroom is the other with a 2 mo old brand new, name brand alkaline. Im done.

Reply to
Dj Hueneburg

I've been especially disappointed with the Kidde 10 year smoke detectors. Best one I had lasted about 6 years, worst was 9 months. They start going off for no reason.

Before Carrier acquired Kidde, a call or email to customer service got you a new one via FedEx in short order. Way, way back, they asked you to put their return label on the old one so their Quality Control could see what the problem was.

Last few years, they no longer ask for return of the old one. My theory on that is that they know the alarms are crap.

Since Carrier bought Kidde, it takes multiple requests until they get around to sending a new one- usually months later while you are without a smoke alarm on that level of your house.

I've started replacing the Kidde ones with First Alert brand. Hopefully, they're better...

Reply to
Wade Garrett