Small roof leak

I've had this roof leak for about 1 year. It's small and I put a container in the dining room where it leaks through the light. Its now to the point of being a nuisance since the 5 gallon HD bucket sits on the dining table and my wife is getting upset with the stench from above.

A neighbor suggested I take the bucket on the roof, flip it upside down and silicone around the top of the bucket. The top would be on the shingles. Will this work?

Reply to
Larry K

You hopefully posted this as a joke.

Not a good one though.

Reply to
philo

Old fashioned clothes pins are effective nose-pinchers! Put some fake flowers in the bucket and tell her how great they smell!

A better solution might be to get a REALLY REALLY REALLY (did I mention "really"?) big TARP and cover the entire house! Then, when it is exceedingly windy, you can lift off one corner of the fastener and "sail" the house to your desired destination (leaving the car in the driveway for the duration)

Reply to
Don Y

Genius !

Reply to
philo

I'd wait for blue tarps and duct tape to go on sale at Harbor Freight.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Steve Stone posted for all of us...

+1 I was going to post it had to be a blue tarp from HF.
Reply to
Tekkie®

You need to cover the ENTIRE ROOF with buckets siliconed to the shingles. Then you silicone another layer of buckets over the lower ones to cover the gaps between them. If it still leaks, add another layer of buckets. Keep adding layers till the leak stops.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Get the extra thin one.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" <

)
Reply to
Phil Kangas

That won't work.

Most insurance policies have more holes in them than a good-sized strainer.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Who needs shingles. Just cover the whole roof with a one inch layer of silicone. Apply a blue tarp on top of the silicone making sure it sticks well. Then cover the tarp with another 2 inches of clear silicone, making sure the whole roof is covered. 24,642 tubes of clear silicone, and several of the largest blue tarps available, and you'll have a leakproof roof that should last a lifetime.

Reply to
Paintedcow