Slipping windows

Several of the wooden windows in my house (double-hung, but not the type with weights and ropes) slip, and will not stay up. I'm tired of using dowels to prop these windows open. They have little spring-loaded plastic pieces at both bottom corners of the sash, which originally provided enough friction against the jamb liner to keep the window open, but they don't work now. Is there anywhere I can find replacement parts to make these windows work right again? Or does anyone sell a "retrofit" gadget that would solve this problem?

Reply to
Dsorgnzd

Although there are no counterweights, there are probably springs and they can often be adjusted.

Wooden windows would be very heavy. Without any sort of spring or counterweight, I don't think you would want to lift the windows and a small spring loaded friction stop would have little chance of keeping the window up.

Each type of window seems to have it's own spring adjusting scheme. Some have a not so obvious adjustment screw, others require some disassembly. Those little plastic pieces may be the key. You may be able to disconnect them from the window, turn them and increase the spring tension.

You could screw a simple door bolt to each window and drill matching holes in the window frame at various levels.

----------------------------------------------------------- spam: snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov wordgame:123(abc): (Barry Mann) [sorry about the puzzle, spammers are ruining my mailbox]

Barry Mann

you can buy tension piece flat spring steel, to slip between the window and frame

Reply to
m Ransley

Enter "window +parts" or "window +repair" in Google and you'll get places on the internet that sell repair hardware.

I've had luck getting window tube balances and related parts at Robert Brooke at

I just fixed the same problem you have on four of my windows in about 25 minutes (although on a different style window, it sounds like).

TIP: if your windows use tube balances, get the tension tool to wind up the spring. Makes it about 1000 times easier than trying to do it with pliers or your fingers.

Reply to
Tom Miller

blainewindows.com or something like that.

Last time I was there all you could do was request a catalog. It has just about all the parts you might need.

Reply to
Colbyt