Slight mildewy smell in basement

Associated post: "Water under refriferator"

I have wet/dry vac'ed about 8 gallons of water from my finished basement. I left the carpet wet and ran fans over it for several days with windows open and the furnace fan on. Then I bought a dehumidifier. It's finally dry. However, there's a slight mildewy smell down there. What should/can I do?

Thanks!

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Spray it with bleach or junk it.

Reply to
m Ransley

You need to replace that carpet now or be burdened with mold forever. All you did was breed pathogens for several days.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I had a similar problem, then had Sears come and clean the carpet. After they left, it was almost already dry, left the windows open for a day, then put a dehumidifier in there set at 40%.

It's been good ever since.

Reply to
Bob