sink disposals

Hi Is one brand of kitchen sink disposal concidered better than another? Mine is grinding itself apart, literally. Any tips on replacing it? thanks John

Reply to
Juan Valdez

I've lived with 3 different ones from Insinkerator, and they've all seemed indestructable. If I was going to buy a disposal, I don't think I'd even consider another brand. Why bother?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Confirmed by tests at Consumer Reports. The better (more $$) Insinkerators are the most durable. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

For 12 years I've had no other brand, but Insinkerator. I've placed them in rental properties when necessary for a new disposal.

In my last home, the original Insinkerator disposal lasted about 7 years. I'll buy Insinkerator again (might be called a BADGER model :)

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

"Juan Valdez" wrote in news:47acc4e8$0$6499$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

I've never killed an Insinkerator either.

Grinding itself apart? Not sure if you mean it just sounds horrible when it runs even after it's cleared. Do you ever clean it? Simple. Toss a tray or two if ice cubes in it. Whenever I do this, after it's done and flushed with water the only sound is the hum of the motor.

Reply to
Red Green

Good point. I wonder what the OP or some other user dropped into the disposal.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I did have one that leaked water at the bottom...shorting wires/reset button on the bottom (?). Only happened once. It had a long life span.

That can happen to any brand I suppose.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

All Ive ever put in is Insinkerator the best

Reply to
jim

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:4p7rj.3705$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

I called my disposal the Pet Cemetary.

I had a good size fish tank for some years with good size fish. When they died they went in the pet cemetary.

Reply to
Red Green

I've got a GE that's 35 years old and still grinding. Of course that was back when they made things to last.

Red

Reply to
Red

well, not sure what caused this but a few days ago, I turned it on and metal filings started to fly out...That was the tip off ;) Now its just stuck. Someone in the house must have droped something in. Of course everyone denys it...I was going to see if I could clear the obstruction but its probably not worth it. Its about 8-9 years old anyways. So Insinkerator it is. Thanks for the input everyone

Reply to
Juan Valdez

"Juan Valdez" wrote in news:47ad5b22$0$17338$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

I'm not a proponent of dragging out the death of things and having them run crippled but you do know there is a hex type wrench made for when things get stuck? It is often in a holder someplace on the disposal. I believe it fits in the center of the bottom so you can turn it backwards. This is a zero expense/minimal effort shot. If you can get it unjamed and it sound and works OK then why replace it? Saves you from swearing at leak from the new one :-)

Reply to
Red Green

There's probably a spoon or fork in the disposal. Someone dropped it in, turned on the disposal, and when it made a horrible noise, they adopted the "I don't know nuthin' and I ain't talkin'" routine. Replacing it without first trying to clear the obstruction is ridiculous. Someone in the house might drop something into the brand new one the day after you install it. Then what? Buy another new one??? Don't do that. Use the money you save to buy tools and beer.

Sharpen your best kitchen knife and place it on the counter where you can reach it. Tell everyone in the house to stay away from the disposal switch. Better yet, tell them to stay out of the kitchen. If anyone disobeys, wave the knife at them like a madman. This is how it's done. You could also turn off the circuit breaker, but it's much more interesting to create a sense of danger so you're a bigger hero after you fix the disposal.

The disposal doesn't have sharp blades inside. It's got these things they call "hammers" mounted on the bottom surface near the outer edge. First, peek in with a flashlight to see if you can spot the debris. A dental mirror would help, and you should have at least 3 different shapes & sizes in your toolbox anyway, so here's an excuse to buy more tools. Then, stick your hand in there carefully and feel around. The bottom surface is supposed to spin like a carousel. You might be able to dislodge it if you remove whatever piece of metal is wedged between a hammer and the side of the housing. The debris itself might be sharp if it's been chewed up, so be careful.

Look at the bottom (outside) of the disposal and you'll see a socket for a hex wrench. That's there so you can use a wrench to turn the inner part backward and dislodge debris. It doesn't have to be the wrench that came with the disposal, which is probably nowhere to be found anyway. Any hex wrench of the proper size will work. If you don't have a set of hex wrenches, here's yet another excuse to buy more tools. That's always a good thing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:Objrj.3719$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

[...that we all learned as kids]

There's a good point!

A fishing harpoon gun or crossbow heads 'em off before they get too clo9se.

You could also turn off the circuit breaker, but it's much

It probably umplugs from an outlet right under the sink but this ruins all the fun.

Ace Hardware has an assortment - here anyway.

Another good point I never thought of about the debris being sharp.

Many have negative things to say about the Borg. But it is a nice candy store.

Reply to
Red Green