Siding in the rain - disaster!

Not because of rain but the incompetent installer. I'm no expert but every time I've had someone out to do work its a mess! It may take me twice as long but its done right or at least better than what these clowns do.

12" x 16' MDF siding. one side of the house all the siding needs replacing. I ripped off all the old siding. I put the first course up. The "handyman" started at 7:00am this morning he had to put up about 20 courses wrapped around 2 windows and an air conditioner. I leave work at noon and when I get home I can see problems right away. I said the siding they are putting up should line up with the old siding on the back of the house. He was off by 2 -3 inches. I pointed to all the houses around us and they all line up!! Oh shit he says, He didn't check that. Then I point out that he's been using a nail gun and driving the nails 1/8" countersunk. I said, "what are you going to do about that. He said he would fill the holes. Yeh right... that's going to last... Keep in mind that this siding sucks, once the surface is broken and water gets in this stuff swells and flakes apart. No way am I going to patch these nail heads. Some nails were halfway through the siding.

Then I pointed out that some of the courses were crooked. Over an 8 foot span he had 10 " of exposure at one end and 9.25 at the other end. He said he put a level on it! I said Pack your stuff and get out of here...At this point he knew he screwed it up. The cleaned up and left. He offered to tear down the siding but I said just leave. I pointed out that he ruined about $150 worth of material. He said he would mail me a check. I took pictures of the poor job and him up on the ladder. If I don't get a check for the material next week it will be off to small claim court...

AM I CORRECT?

  1. the siding should line up all the way around the house, within reason, say within .25" - .375"
  2. You should not countersink nails in this siding...
  3. when you get to a window you notch out the siding so that it wraps around the window. He cut the full board at the side of the window and then put a
4" piece just under the window.

I was paying this guy $65 Hr for him and a helper. I had called a couple of references but who knows who they were. They said they had no problems with his work. Also I didn't think the job was that difficult.

With the help of you guys to answer my questions, I would rather do it myself.

Just had to vent!!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

is this in backwoods, Tennessee or Beverly Hills, California

Reply to
longshot

I'm in the gay state of Massachusetts. Opps, I mean the bay state.

Reply to
Steve

The point of the question was: Do you live near a decent size city where you have a wide choice of people who could've done this job, or are you out in the sticks where the best place to find a handyman is in a back-road tavern that's 2 weeks away from collapsing from termite damage?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Plenty of people around offering to do the work. I live 20 mile outside of boston. Called 5 "handymen" for quotes. 3 never showed up to meet me. one showed up in crutches and wanted $2000, I buy the material. The guy I went with was going to work by the hour, $65 he though he would get it done in 6 to 10 hours. ( I ripped all the old siding up and had the material on site ready to go.) We talked about the siding lineing up with the old siding. He told me he liked to predrill and use SS nails on this siding. He said he had used this siding material before.

Then he uses his nail gun and blows the nails half way through the siding.

steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

Here's an idea: Do it yourself, with a helper who will do EXACTLY what you say, and work for a price that he/she considers more than acceptable, but which is a bargain to you.

Two years ago, our high school principal set up a program which gets students hooked up with people who need short-term work done. My son got a few jobs this way, mostly yard work, but some rather complex garden detail work. To him, it was great because it wasn't repetitious, like his restaurant kitchen job. People were offering ten bucks an hour, which a teenager considers a great deal, especially since it's tax free. When my neighbor heard the kid was a quick learner, and careful, he hired him to help put the house in shape for selling, a project that's still underway. The neighbor's no home improvement wizard, so my son often comes back here, tells me what needs to be done, asks questions, and goes back and does the work. He no wizard, either, but he listens and learns.

So, I'd call the nearest high school and see if they've got a way of matching up kids with people who need work done.

If you find someone, you explain the following:

- You will do exactly what I say, unless you have a better idea and we test it somehow.

- You will use all the safety equipment I give you, no matter how uncomfortable it is, or uncool it looks.

- You will wear clothing that I consider safe around power tools.

- I want to meet your parents and make sure they understand what you'll be doing. Not talk to them on the phone. MEET them.

- None of your friends will be hanging around and distracting you.

etc etc.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

YES!

Definitely!

I assume you are referring to vinyl siding. It should always be loose nailed so it can float with expansion/contraction. If it's tight nailed it will wrinkle with the sun, plus do a lot of snap, crackle, & popping.

The strips directly above doors & windows, plus the strip below windows, should always extend at least 24" to either side to keep out water. Notch as needed with a tight enough fit to caulk.

Reply to
Red

I usually do all my own work. Built shed from scratch, Installed 4 new pella windows, plumbing , electrical, etc, etc.... I work with computers / graphics all day and I enjoy working around the house. Saves tons of money. The wife kids me cause she catches me staring off into space sometimes.. What are you doing? she asks.... I'm thinking....Trying to figure out how best to do the current project I have going on.

I'm putting in new Kitchen cabinets now and thought I'd farm out the siding job. Now I'll just make time to do it myself. My daughter has offered to help me... I'll pay her enough to make it worth her time... ( 24 years old)

Thanks fo the reply

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

handymen are not professionals. heck, most of them are not handy at all.

| | 12" x 16' MDF siding. one side of the house all the siding needs replacing. | I ripped off all the old siding. | I put the first course up. | The "handyman" started at 7:00am this morning he had to put up about

20 | courses wrapped around 2 windows and an air conditioner.

20 courses w/nail gun - 10 hours work..........huh! sounds like he put himself out of work really fast.

| I leave work at noon and when I get home I can see problems right away. | I said the siding they are putting up should line up with the old siding on | the back of the house. He was off by 2 -3 inches. I pointed to all the | houses around us and they all line up!! | Oh shit he says, He didn't check that. Then I point out that he's been using | a nail gun and driving the nails 1/8" countersunk. I said, "what are you | going to do about that. He said he would fill the holes. Yeh right... that's | going to last... | Keep in mind that this siding sucks, once the surface is broken and water | gets in this stuff swells and flakes apart. No way am I going to patch these | nail heads. Some nails were halfway through the siding. | | Then I pointed out that some of the courses were crooked. Over an 8 foot | span he had 10 " of exposure at one end and 9.25 at the other end. | He said he put a level on it!

straight is better than level even in the gay state.

| I said Pack your stuff and get out of here...At this point he knew he | screwed it up. The cleaned up and left.

at least they cleaned up before they left makes them honorable anyway.

He offered to tear down the siding | but I said just leave. | I pointed out that he ruined about $150 worth of material. He said he would | mail me a check. I took pictures of the poor job and him up on the ladder. | If I don't get a check for the material next week it will be off to small | claim court... | | AM I CORRECT? | | 1. the siding should line up all the way around the house, within reason, | say within .25" - .375"

correct unless your house is inches out of level

| 2. You should not countersink nails in this siding...

correct

| 3. when you get to a window you notch out the siding so that it wraps around | the window.

over the top of the window you are correct

He cut the full board at the side of the window and then put a | 4" piece just under the window.

that is fine

| | I was paying this guy $65 Hr for him and a helper.

that is the going rate in the gay state

| I had called a couple of references but who knows who they were.

acquaintances of his.

They said | they had no problems with his work. | Also I didn't think the job was that difficult.

it's not that difficult

20 courses, hand nailed........4 hours work but would have to charge for the full day.

| | With the help of you guys to answer my questions, I would rather do it | myself. | | Just had to vent!!

you didn't say anything about a vent..............lol

| | Steve | | |

Reply to
3G