attic closet insulation question

I have a small closet next to my upstairs bedroom that needs insulation. Right now the ceiling is actually covered with cardboard, with nothing underneath except the roof...if i pull back the cardboard i can see the plywood from the roof.

I need to insulate this closet to keep the summer heat out, but i don't want to do a big drywall job right now. Is there some other material that i can use to finish the walls and ceiling that would work temporarily until i get around to doing it the right way. I was thinking that maybe there is some sort of thin sheet material, or something that i could roll out to cover the insulation???

I'm very new to all of this, but would like to at least get the insulation in there.

Thanks!

J.

Reply to
sgold

Why would you want to do it twice? Drywall it and be done with it.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Drywall is easy enough to work with, c'mon. Since you ask though, foam board is even easier to work and has fantastic insulative value. Just pop a line and cut with a knife. By my calculation it is also the best insulation value per inch and per dollar. I like to use a long retractable knife to cut and a fender washer with drywall screw to fasten foil-backed foam board.

Reply to
Lawrence

Thanks,....

How about that foil insulation that comes in rolls...it has plastic bubble material inside, or fiberglass inside....

J.

Reply to
sgold

Haven't tried that stuff but it looks like it would be easier to get it home if you had to ride the public transportation. Don't see why you couldn't eventually install drywall over either product eventually.

The best idea is to install something fairly solid like foam board or drywall or both. That will allow you to go up in the attic at a later date and do the job right. Fiberglass bats installed between ceiling ties and then bats over the joists at a right able is the standard procedure. All which is done from the attic.

Reply to
Lawrence

IMHO,not a fan of foam, if left exposed. There are ridgid fiberboards that are less dangeriou, imho. If you use foam, follow the directions about covering it with a barrier.

tom @

Just Joshin

And the code-accepted barrier is drywall....

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

thermax brand foil faced insulation can be used exposed to the interior of a building. only thermax brand, though.

Reply to
marson