shower tile crack too wide for grout

I have a shower to grout, with a crack that is too wide. About a quarter inch. It's a vertical corner, photos here:

Should I fill this with something, then grout it? What should I fill it with?

Reply to
david

It doesn't look too wide for grout to me. Just fill it well.

Reply to
Abe

It's good practice to use a color matched caulk, preferably mildew-resistant silicone, to fill joints at changes in surface planes

- ie, walls to floors, wall to intersecting wall, etc.

RicodJour

It's definitely not to wide for grout, however, if the wall was not framed correctly and that bump out was not nailed off correctly (the wood framing) the wall will always flex. It's possible that's why all the grout fell out. In that case you're better off with a flexible caulk.

Reply to
Alan

My guess is that this crack opened up over a long period of time and probably isn't moving much any more, if at all.

Pack it with sanded grout, using a rubber grout float. Push the grout in hard until it won't squish in any more. Later, if you notice a hairline crack in your repair, indicating continued movement, you could caulk over it.

thetiler

Reply to
thetiler

Just what I was going to recommend too.

Sanded grout is made for wide gaps, just what you have there.

I would say put that in and make it flush. Let it dry and put a bead of caulk on it to seal it up (and look better)

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib

Why would you want to cover grout with caulk instead of just caulking it in the first place? I suppose if the OP has sanded latex-modified grout on hand, in a color that matches the wall grout, that would work, but a tube of caulk would probably be cheaper.

RicodJour