shower rod

A few weeks ago I took the shower doors out and put up a curved shower rod like the ones you see in hotels. This rod is an adjustable tension type with an adjustment on one end to make it nice and secure.

The problem is somehow I lost the little plastic ring that goes in between the inside and outside rod which allows the curtain rings to glide over the junction smoothly. I tried putting clear packing tape there to cover up the crack but that only lasted a short while. How can I fix this? See picture.

badgolferman

Either use tape which is specifically waterproof...or use some clear RTV

Reply to
philo

O-ring

Reply to
Meanie

Bet a helpless-blonde letter or email ("Gee I'm so dumb, guess what I managed to lose from my new shower rod that I love") to the mfr would bring you a new ring in the return mail PDQ ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Pick up the phone.

They'll either send you a new ring for free or if not, chalk it up as an "oh shit" and pay for a new ring. Sure beats struggling with the curtain or trying a bunch of fixes that won't work.

How honest are you? Buy a new one, take the ring out and return the rest of it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Would a compression fitting be of any use, either plastic or brass?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I'd be interested in seeing the result of this. Some companies I've called have told me that, no, sorry, they're not set up for that. There is no long a "Mike" in the company who knows what the ring is, what bin it's in and how to ship it out.

Reply to
Charles Bishop

As a temporary fix I have cut off the wing of a dart flight which is smooth, pliable yet stiff, and taped it across the seam of the two rods with clear packing tape. It seems to be doing the trick for now.

Tomorrow I will call the manufacturer (Moen) and see if they'll help. I may even look into the compression fitting option mentioned by someone else.

Reply to
badgolferman

Maybe the fitting wasn't with the rod when you bought it? You could take it back and get a rod that has the fitting.

Reply to
Muggles

No, it was with it. I just don't know how it got lost. I looked all over the bathroom and peeked inside the rod but didn't see anything. I threw the box and receipt away before realizing there was a problem so in good conscience I can't take it back as defective.

Reply to
badgolferman

Just take it back and tell them a part was missing, and get another rod. Talk about turning a gopher mound into a mountain! Geeeessshhhhhh!!!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

OK ...

Reply to
Muggles

Yea, if you do, God will strike you dead after forcing you to become a homeless alcoholic living in an alley, and eating at the Rescue Mission.

Oh wait..... You already do that, dont you?

You better get on your knees and REPENT, for even thinking about returning it!!!

And all of this because of improper packaging by the manufacturer ......

Reply to
Paintedcow

It's called honesty and conscience, things you clearly lack.

Reply to
badgolferman

Since it is a Moen, and not some noname-brand item, they may have the part that you need and be willing to send you one. Moen is known for that with their faucet products etc., so maybe they will do that for your curved shower rod.

Here's a link with the possible model numbers and the phone numbers for Moen:

TomR

I called Moen yesterday and they asked me if it was a new installation which I answered yes to that. They are sending me anew one for free -- the entire shower rod assembley!

Reply to
badgolferman

Classy company. If you had shorted them 2¢ though, they would charge you $11 for it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Wow, amazing! I always heard good things about Moen as far as free replacement parts etc.

Reply to
TomR

So here's an update to the shower rod story.

I received the free replacement shower rod from Moen last week. Yesterday I finally found the time to unpack it and replace the one in my bathroom that is missing the plastic ring at the transition. When I opened the box I realized the new shower rod is not the compression type I have but instead is a permanent installation type. I didn't really want to drill new holes to install the new one so I just took the plastic ring out and planned to use that one to fix mine.

The ends of the shower rod have decorative cups that fit over the installation ends to hide that hardware. When I pulled one side off I found the plastic ring that had been missing all along! It seems the cup pulled it off the transition seam between the two rod sections. I pulled the plastic ring back down the rod and slid it into place. Everything is good now.

Now I have an extra curved shower rod that Moen sent me. I think I might just give it to a friend who has been talking about redoing his bathroom. As a gesture of gratitude to Moen I will make sure the next bathroom fixture I need will be purchased from them.

Reply to
badgolferman