Shower faucet problem

Hello Everyone, We are about to move into a house in a couple weeks. One of the problems that needs to be addressed is the fact that the faucet in the bathtub is missing the plunger that you pull up to engage the shower. I would think that the faucet would unscrew from the piping and I could then see if I could find the parts to put in a new plunger. Does this make sense to anyone? Any tips or advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks, John

Reply to
Jdmst

It's called the tub "spout". The one you have is a "diverter spout". There are a dozen different types. Some screw onto a threaded pipe, some have a setscrew and slide on.

If it is threaded, there is some risk to unscrewing it; if the pipe is copper, it may twist. If ancient galv iron, it may break off.

Move cautiously on this project so you don't get into a bigger one...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Most just unscrew off the pipe stub. You don't replace the plunger, you replace the whole spout...maybe $10 at any home depot.

$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Hi Jim, Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I will examine the spout carefully before I try and remove it.

And thanks to Curmudgeon for his tip about Home Depot

John

Reply to
Jdmst

John,

I repaired the same thing at my mother-in-laws a couple weekends back. Her show had the diverter button (the thing you actually pull up) broken off.

Home Depot did not have one for some reason, but the local hardware store (yes they still exist) had one. Word of wisdom: After you twist off the spout you are replacing, take it with you to the hardware store. Also measure the length of pipe sticking out of the wall. With those two things, you can probably come pretty close to replacing with satifactory results.

SK

Reply to
SofaKing