shower enclosure stinks!

Our upstairs bathroom has a shower enclosure that we use every day. It smells bad like sewer. If I clean it with bleach, the smell is gone for few days but back again. The drain is not blocked. It drains freely. I assume I have to clean the drain pipe? The drain stopper doesn't look screwed-on. It looks glued. How do I clean such a drain? The house is 5 years old.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
tedneeley

I would suspect that you have a shower trap that is being drained of all water, perhaps because of a clogged vent pipe or improper installation. It may be ok for a few days because you aren't flushing the toilet, running the washer, or whatever it is that causes the trap to drain. Or it might take a few instances of flushing the toilet, etc. before the trap is emptied. Have you noticed that the water level in the upstairs toilet fluctuates or goes down when water is run down a drain elsewhere? The upstairs shower may be an easier place for the downstairs plumbing to suck air rather than the vent if the vent is plugged or installed wrong.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

We are one of the supplier of [url=

Manufacturer Company in China [url=
enclosure[/url] With high quality OEM and customized [url=
door[/url] made of a safety tempered glass and solid brass hardware with chrome finish handle

Reply to
james918