shower drain plumbing question

Can't help on the Can plumbing code, but certainly a 2" drain is perfectly fine for a settup where only 1 head can run at a time.

Reply to
trader4

i'm gonna have a shower panel installed, it includes 6 shower jets, 1 shower head and 1 shower head on rope (or whatever it is called). the shower can only operate 1 system at a time - i.e. jets or 1 head or the other head. I had new plumbing installed, the new incoming water mains are 1/2", and the drain is 2". Is the drain sufficient? According to Can. plumbing code, for a shower with 4 to 6 heads one needs min 3" pipe. (2" is for ma 3 heads) Does this apply to this situation? thanks

martin

Reply to
Martin

what about the situation when 6 shower jets are running ? (i am not worried about the shower head, but the jets) i guess what i was getting at was if the jets would be considered as a individual heads?

m.

Reply to
Martin

If they're all fed through the same 1/2" pipe you're good to go. You won't get enough water through 1/2" pipe to overflow a 1 1/2" drain. 2" is plenty lagre enough.

Even if all jets / heads were on at the same time.

I can just picture a 3" drain on a shower.. hah!

Reply to
Olaf

damn, i wish i was more carefull when i was writing this. thanks to those who replied. just to close this up, i wan to clarify few things. first of all, the mains are 3/4" not 1/2" as previously mentioned. Cold is 3/4" from main shutoff, hot is 3/4" from hwt. the drain is 1-1/2", not 2" as i thiugh. I wrote the previous message at work, and after coming home I realized my error. so, given the new h&c w, and the new size of drain - which is acceptable for 1 shower, is that good enough?

thanks again for help.

Martin

I have custom shower with 3/4" thermostatic valve, three 3/4" volume controls (one for fixed shower arm, the second for hand-held shower and the third one for body sprays) and 3 body sprays. I have 2" shower drain and even when all shower units are fully open which represents a wall of water shower drain works completely OK. I have never had entire shower bottom which is 5' X 3' under the water.

Reply to
Sasha