shower control broke

I have a single handle shower control at my house (moved in 7 months ago). When we first moved it, the shower handle broke. I replaced it with the same kind that broke, a clear plastic Moen handle. The part that broke is the section that "grips" around the stem. That was about

6 months ago. Well the handle just broke again, same thing. So it appears I get around 6 months use per handle? There's only two of us, so its not getting tons of use. Does 6 months sound right? The handle (before it broke) didn't seem to be too tight (so don't think the stem is sticking). In case, is it good/bad to spray some WD-40 into the stem area? Is it possible to get metal replacement hanles (or any other substance better than plastic)? Thanks in advance!!
Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Well i was going to spray into the stem socket (what ever that's called) not on/in the plastic handle. But thanks..... I'll not be doing that. The handle (when it wasn't broken) didn't seem that hard to turn, about the same as a "normal" door knob. It wasn't any tighter than any other shower I've used. I believe the actual valve is a Moen Posi-Temp.... is it possible to get a metal handle? What would be a sticking point anyways? A cartridge? Anything a real novice can troubleshoot?

Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Spray wd-40 on plastic ?????? NO!!!!!

Wanna have some fun with old Rubiks cubes (sp). Spray them with wd-40, run a safe distance away, and watch what happens.

Those handles should only take a couple of fingers to move. Any tighter and you need to tear it down to find the problem.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Didn't even notice the "moen" first time around.

But they guarantee most of their faucets for life "against leaks" (only the parts, not labour) If you get it apart and tell them it was leaking , ;) you should get the internal parts for free. Most Moen dealers like Home depot will do the swap for you.

The new knob you may have to pay for. :(

A slight leak may leave mineral deposits that could cause it to be tight. But you would have felt that long before the handle broke

Those handles are not that delicate. If it wasn't hard to turn, it's pretty rare you could have broken two on the same faucet without some other cause.

eg. using it for a towel bar, or as a grab bar, or overtightening the screw and cracking it.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

I just installed the new knob and ensured it was not over tightened. I tested the new one several times and it feels no tighter than any other faucet. What other cause could break the handle? I have access to get behind the contol valve (opening in wall) and it doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere.

Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom