Should I try to install tile in my master bathroom?

Our contractor cleaned our tile well, but left instructions to use vinegar and water at a certain point - two hours? two days? after the grouting was done. I recently redid the grout in our walk-in shower, so took particular care since it is a problem that appears often on ahr. Not difficult at all to remove the grout. Just don't let the darn stuff dry, and if you use unglazed tile, I believe they need to be sealed before they are installed. RTFL.

Reply to
Norminn

The base is most important. I put down 1/4 inch hardibacker and the put the tile on it. As others said check Home Depot for their two hour class on laying tile. Well worth it.

The guy there said to put the hardibacker down with galvanized roofing nails. I thought I would do better and use self countersinking screws. After trying about four of them I gave up. No way could I drive into that hardibacker. I went to the nails. Once that is down you won't get tile coming loose.

Reply to
Rich256

I've always used the 1/2" because my floors are only 3/4" OSB. A minimum of 1-1/4" subfloor is recommended for tile.

Use a countersink drill bit to drill pilot holes. Also, there are specially treated screws meant for HardiBacker with nice robertson or square-drive heads (I can't tell the difference).

Reply to
Keith Williams

When you refer to the added height being a potential problem, does that only involve the door?

Thanks,

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Best tip I saw was to take a 5-gal (Joint Compound) bucket and a large car washing sponge. Immediately after grouting, dunk the sponge, ring it out well, and wipe a stripe one sponge width wide. Go over it twice, once for each side of the sponge. Dunk the sponge, squeeze it out, and do it again. Be sure to use a light touch so you don't wreck your nice smooth grout.

This take a large portion of the haze off before it has a chance to dry. A few hours after that, use cheese cloth to buff the tile.

Reply to
Boward

That is what I was trying. My driver just wasn't strong enough. Concluded that with nails every six inches it wasn't going anyplace anyway.

Just don't lay over linoleum. A neighbor did that. One came loose. When trying to replace it they all came loose.

Reply to
Rich256

You need a better driver. ;-)

Someone tried to convince me to just leave the vinyl flooring. My answer was "how's the thinset foing to stick to that?". I scraped it all up and then sanded the glue down.

Reply to
Keith

Re haze: I have very little tiling experience, but my bro is a pro, and I've helped him on a couple jobs. Bucket and sponge as posted above is correct, working diagonally tp prevent pulling out grout. He emphasized to me the importance of keeping sponge clean- rinse _a lot_ and change water, wring out, wipe, repeat. Go over whole floor a couple times. Cheesecloth as mentioned above. Should be no haze.

Reply to
Sev

The door, yes - And a stub your toe hazard plus it looks ugly if its too high.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No