Should I replace my 3 ton AC

Soory about that. That was for the post about Fault Line......

(oooops!)

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I envy you. It's doing the job properly.

Reply to
Phisherman

Do you do any regular maintenance on these units? If yes, how often?

What kind of climate are you in?

Roland

Reply to
Joe Doe

Run it 'til she blows. Same as with tires.

Reply to
JerryMouse

Sorry, my post must not have been clear enough.

THIS is the "real address" spam dot trap at-sign hotpop dot com

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Travis write your addy as it appears, , you say dot, is that . At is @

Reply to
m Ransley

Just say it out loud and write it that way. Yes, "at-sign" is @

Reply to
Travis Jordan

My 3 ton GE AC was installed in 1973 and it is still running and doing the job very nicely. The only eminence that has been required so far is what I do at the beginning of each season--Remove the top grillwork, vacuum the coils and clean out everything in sight and oil the fan motor. Inside, flush out the A coil drain tray-use a solution of bleach and water to get rid of the algae that sometimes clogs the drain hole. Run the system for a couple of hours and measure the temperature at the furthest register. It has been the same, approx 54F since it was installed, good or bad at least its been consistent.. I recently had a new 90% furnace installed and had the HVAC service people take a look at the A coil while the ductwork was open and got the "It's OK" comment. Granted I'm in the Northeast and AC is not required on a long term basis. Overall. it's used on an intermittent basis 3-4 weeks of the year if that much. Maybe it's not as efficient as a new one but it runs flawlessly and easily cools the house down on a 90F day. Cost of electricity is not a significant driver--our city has its own power plant and we not only get a good rate but if we pay within a specific time frame we deduct 20% from the bill. Getting a new unit, just for the sake of getting a more efficient replacement doesn't make sense to me, at least now--when and if it fails, that's another matter. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Reply to
udarrell

/snip/ Citation on your statement that " it will do better on getting the humidity down than the new very high SEER units"? This makes no sense to me whatsoever. The temperature of the evaporator coil and airflow rate determine the amount of moisture that is removed from the air, not the SEER rating of the unit.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

That sort of notion would suggest that your A/C has too much capacity for the application, and tends to run in short cycles.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

This is Turtle.

By you living in the Northern state the ideal of buy a new one for cost of operation savings is just a personal thing and no real cost to operate savings.

Just run it and when you start any kind of trouble with it. Change it out. It is nothing for a properly install hvac system to run 40+ years and work good. The new stuff you buy now days you will only expect about 15 years or so out of them.

Run it and be happy.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE