Shortage of Auto mechanics

Or more likley they'll end up like clock repair, TV repair and shoe repair folks; vanished, or vanishing occupations[*].

I've never been to a starbucks. What makes their employees different from any other coffeeshop or restaurant?

[*] Actually, it would be nice if those occupations returned, but the big companies prefer you replace rather than repair, even given the burdon on the environment that this presents.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Just a typical example. I hired some college grads for jobs that had nothing to do with the degrees they had. They just needed work. One was a supervisor for a few years, but not really that good. He and his wife are now over the road truck drivers working for one of the big outfits.

He may enjoy having a degree in literature but not needed for his career. He did write a book once and it did not sell.

Reply to
Ed P

Interesting statistics for graduates:

invalid unparseable

Someone with a degree as a statistician found a good job compiling that.

Any education is good, of course, but:

the numbers (Intelligent): "In addition to dealing with financial insecurity, only 46% of college grads surveyed say they currently work in their field of study. 29% report working in a different field, while

16% of those under age 54 (and therefore not likely retired) say they are currently unemployed.
Reply to
Ed P

It is to be hoped that for most that's a temporary job while they finish their automechanics or other training. But of course, it's not temporary for many, or they rise to be chief barista, night manager, or even day manager.

Overly expensive. I've only been there once on a blind date. On other occasions I went with a friend who is a mystery shopper. She'd buy coffee and a pastry and then rush outside where they couldn't see her to measure the temperature of the coffee. She's not fat so she'd give me the pastry.

It's partly becausa of the centuries-old belief in the value of learning for learning's sake and the value of the arts and humanities, and the belief that a college education should be done to make one "educated" and not for job-training. In the past, maybe only the children of rich folks could afford to look at college this way, but prosperity has allowed the growing middle-income population to do so, at least during the 50's, and 60's until ????. If the middle-income population is being squeezed, as I have read, the number of them who can do this would be declining, but many of those who have been squeezed out don't recognize that yet, and still live as if they can afford it. (This is the flip side of an earlier post by me, where I impliled that if they lived modestly, bought used cars, and rented for a few years before they bought a house, they could afford to pay their loans, even probably big ones. But maybe the same people who were squeezed out but don't realize it also don't realize it when it comes to how much they spend not just on sociology majors but on cars and houses.)

I don't know if my brother had a major, since he went only 3 years to college and then to medical school, but he praised our cousin, who he said was the only boy he knew of that year at IU who had a business waiting for him (his father's) who didn't major in business. He majored in History, becuase I presume he wanted to be an educated man. (I presume he's not reading this so I'm willing to say that aiui, he's not even that smart or scholarly, and probably didn't make A's, but I too think that being "educated" should not be limited to those people.

Then, I suppose to learn business, he had to go Wharton for a couple years, and then he got a job at a large NYC international firm, and when I saw him, he was specializing in buying or selling fishmeal. Totally not his father's business. Only after a few years there did he go home to work in and eventually run his father's (and before that his grandfather's) business.

Reply to
micky

I don't think I've bought repairable shoes since about 1990. I spend my whole life in glued-together running shoes. I buy a new pair once a year. Mainly because the soles wear smooth, but I notice that the new ones are more cushy and comfortable, since the polymer soles still have elasticizers.

All my clocks are cheap and electronic, and I like it that way. They set themselves, and reset themselves for daylight savings time.

If TVs were repairable, there'd be little incentive for innovation.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

oh micky you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

hey micky

hey micky

Reply to
%

Not for me. I have no driveway and my parking spot is 80 feet from my house. (But it's okay because in back I have acres of woods and a stream.)

Reply to
micky

Indeed, they don't make them like they used to. A good pair of leather shoes should last an adult lifetime, rather than the disposable plastic crap littering landfills.

My grandfather clock keeps perfect time, as does my 1890 school clock (drop bottom) clock.

I'm not sure I buy that argument. In any case, Is 8k that much better than 4k, or 4k signifincantly better than 1920x1080 such that it requires _immediate_ replacement of the earlier technology?

There's a shitload of unnecessary waste filling the landfills because things (appliances, tvs, etc) aren't repairable. In part this can be traced back to the Reagan administration where he signed the law that subjected inventory to annual taxation, thus removing any incentive to keep long-term spare part supplies - prior to that, Burroughs still had keycaps for 70-year-old mechanical calculators (along with all other repair parts) in inventory. That inventory was discarded immediately after the bill was passed.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Wish me luck - I'm taking-apart my 42 inch LG LED TV circa 2015 - sometime this week - to re-glue 2 < or more > lenses back on .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Be sure to use duct tape in the process.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I haven't noticed that, but I buy cheap ones now and I think the tread wears down sooner. Not sure.

In Genoa, on wet marble sidewalks, I could barely stand up.

The last pair I bought is by Everlast and in one or more supermarkets, I got a shock every time I touched a metal shelf. That's never happened before except in a house with carpeting.

I like 24 hour clocks** but when I was working I wanted a clock-radio with a 24 hour, but 7-day alarm. And I couldn't find one.

**After being careful to set the alarms for morning, I failed to notice that I set the actual time wrong by 12 hours.

Less anyhow. When tvs were repairable, people were still innovating.

Reply to
micky

You've mentioned this before. I know how CRT tvs work, with a yoke to cause scanning, but I don't know how thin screen tvs work. I can't imagine what you mean by lens, or how one could fall down.

Reply to
micky

My original thought was a teeny tiny smear of epoxy, but someone in the electronic repair group suggested clear RTV silicone - I'll go with that. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I found numerous repair videos on youtube for this condition - here's just 1 example :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Are they lenses or are they more accurately diffusers ? Or maybe Fresnel lenses ... I replaced the backlight in a computer monitor once . Since then I find another at a yard sale or second hand store if I can't find one reasonably priced at the Big Box Store .

Reply to
Snag

BTW , got a nice touch screen monitor on hand - yard sale 2 bucks or so - for when one of the desk top comps monitor dies .

Reply to
Snag

I don't want leather shoes. They make my feet sweat. I want these:

Not interested. I want digital, glow-in-the-dark, digits about

2 inches high.

Perhaps not. I really like my smart TV that has native streaming.

My husband is picky. When the blacks aren't black enough, he's ready for a new TV.

Then we need recyclable electronics. Nobody is going to keep an old TV; they're always going to want an upgrade.

You're outvoted by the marketplace.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I buy new shoes every November, so they'll have traction for the winter.

The last thing I want is talk or music waking me up. That would be like having a stranger suddenly appear in my bedroom and start talking. Waking up screaming is no way to get ready for work.

Toward the end of my work life, I used my cell phone as an alarm clock.

Glacially slowly.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Dunno - they're called lenses and/or diffusers in the videos. John T.

Reply to
hubops