Shop Light

I'm wiring an old farm building to serve as a shop and storage building. It will need some lighting. Wall mount, LED. I think motion sensor would be best so we don't forget the darn things on for a week accidentally. There are probably some mice and sparrows in it occasionally. Any words of wisdom??

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I much prefer the best motion sensors. In fact I don?t use any physical switches at all anymore, the whole house is done with motion sensors.

Reply to
Blocko

I don't think I'd like that. When you have sex the lights go on? Sit on the can too long and the lights go off?

I do use Alexa for a couple of lights, including one in the bedroom. You can set a timer as well as voice to over ride it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nope. you have the motion sensor sited so it doesn?t see the bed.

Sit

Nope it sees you while ever you are there.

Motion sensor works better.

Reply to
Blocko

So no good if you want the light to go on while in bed. Poor setup. Light would also go on when you don't want it on just because you moved in the path.

Nope, too limited. OK for some things but not total control.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Wrong, its on the other side of a short vertical on the side table at the bed head so you just have to put your hand past that and its completely automatic when you get out of bed.

No. Very good setup and with the best systems you can program it on only come on at night light level after midnight when its still dark if you want that for a piss.

Nope, not when you do that path like that.

No.

Wrong.

Reply to
Blocko

Only in your case. It isn't possible to stay completely immobile long enough so the light goes out because of the programmable on time.

It doesn?t, only when its dark enough to need light and even then with the best of them its possible to say come on at nightlight level if you want that in a specified time window that changes with the solar position so it?s the same all year round.

Much better to come on automatically.

You are free to do that too.

Reply to
Blocko

When I get up to take a piss I don't want the light to go on. Like I said, poor setup. I don't have to follow a path, I'm free to move where I want to go and not turn lights on. No different levels just becuasue it is after midnight.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My living area and kitchen are open so little light is needed for things like grabbing a glass or water type stuff. For cooking i turn lights on, in addition to the under cabinet light. Living room has on light that also give the kitchen plenty to navigate. That is also on a timer or Alexa

Bathrooms have an LED night light so I don't want more light coming on to take a leak during the night

Bedroom has a bright light when needed but the lesser (25W) on the one nightstand i tell Alex to turn it on before I go in the room and tell it to go off when I'd ready to sleep. Ceiling fan light is never used.

A couple of lights are on timers so even when I go away they are on and off at regular times. That is supposed to help with security if anyone is watching.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I stayed at a hotel a few weeks ago and used the bathroom outside the pool area. Damn timer was set for something like 20 seconds. It's easy stay still for 20 seconds in the bathroom. What a PITA. (the light)

I hate bright lights at night, SWMBO hates all-things-automation (more or less).

Three way bulbs in most floor lamps and dimmers in every bedroom & bathroom suits our lifestyle.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

We set the light level before hand. I hate "sex in the dark". A little light adds to the experience.

Dimmers in bathrooms are my style. Night lights work too.

I tried a red light under the bed, controlled by my Echo. SWMBO put the kibosh on that.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Bullshit.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Perfectly possible to set it up like that too.

Like I

You are still wrong.

Perfectly possible to set it up like that too.

No different levels just becuasue

Perfectly possible to set it up like that too.

Reply to
lkpo

I'm still capable of flipping a switch as I enter/leave a room, but I understand that you're older than me so I know what I might have to look forward to one day. Old age ain't for sissies, I guess.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Marilyn Manson snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

With the best ones you can't stay still enough not be detected anymore.

Reply to
lkpo

Fact actually. I am planning to add just one so that if I hear something outside with all lights off in the house, I can get up and check on what is going on outside without any of the lights coming on. The switch will just tell the motion sensors not to turn anything on. And I don?t want to check what is going on outside using the cameras because the screen used to do that will be obvious from outside.

Reply to
lkpo

With the Philips Hue sensors, they call them motion sensors but they are actually occupancy sensors, you don?t have to to anything at all like turning a page, its actually impossible to stop them seeing you even if you deliberately don?t move at all.

With a bit of thought is surprisingly easy to make it work just as well there.

and the one in the

Yeah, much more convenient than having to have your hand on the switch.

Same with coming on and off automatically at sunset and sunrise etc,

Reply to
T is a pig ignorant fool

A lot depends if you have a motion sensor or an occupancy sensor. They usually use the same trigger but an occupancy sensor times out after the last motion it say and the commonly used motion sensors (Zenith Heath etc)start the clock with the first motion and time out after that, not being retriggered until it sees another motion after the time out. I have over 20 around my house, inside and out with a mix of those two types. There is no problem in the bathroom as long as you turn a page on the paper you are reading or something if you use the OS, not MS type. I don't have them in our bedroom and the one in the guest room is switchable. I like the lights coming on wherever I go and turning off when I leave.

Reply to
gfretwell

More bullshit.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Jim Joyce snipped-for-privacy@none.invalid wrote

I am too, but have enough of a clue to find it more convenient to have that happen automatically.

Reply to
lkpo