shade for air conditioner?

ALL rainwater contains something...other than water. Even what is considered clean rain has a PH of about 4.5.... Urine....starts at 6.5...and you know what dog piss does to a unit... Yea...lets dump tons of rainwater on a coil....

Reply to
CBHVAC

This is Turtle.

I will sume it up for you. You might shade it for it may make a very small difference in the head pressure on a very hot day and will traslate to a very small amount of electricity to be saved. It will not hurt it at all but could in some way make a very small difference in the electricity it would use. Now to say the least here. it could help out the Paint job on the metal to look better down the road like a car in a carport. Any saving would be in the very small area of savings.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

...since they don't exist :-)

Haven't seen anything like that in several years, with a few limestone rocks in my rainwater tank. We only need AC for a few weeks per year in Phila. In Arizona, continuous sprinkling for years degraded a fin-tube connection in one system, galvanically. Nothing to do with minerals, but a concern, after 50K(?) hours of use.

That's a lot more expensive. Professor D. Y. Goswami in Gainesville measured a 22% increase in COP by swamp cooling an outdoor coil. Rainwater trickling is cheaper and seems to do better, by cooling the coil directly instead of the air surrounding it. My $10 10 watt fountain pump reduces my window AC power consumption from 1050 to 950 W (including the pump) and lowers the cold air outlet temp by 10 F.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

..ummm howsat..u want a worm to teach? IF I have this right, this is a self-help group for those concerned to ask..and be told. I fail to see where a professional has to explain the advice to the nin-cum-poops who question the wisdom. Ask and be told. Thems the rules AFAIK. The "acid rain" responses I read to date are also all BullSheet. __[gawd bless that newbie soul]_,,,, is as close as the reality of WHY you NEVER hose down Condenser sections as one can get. Read that posters words carefully,,IF you want to save dollars and equipment ..!

BTZ

Reply to
bitzah

snip drivel... I think U pharked that up,,yet agin..mia compadre :-)

BTZ

Reply to
bitzah

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:55:30 -0400, "CBHVAC" wrote: snip..

............get gack to your thermodynamic content. Not only was the direction accurate,, but you were making far more sense, Stick with it,, have faith in your training :- )

BTZ

Reply to
bitzah

..yeh and sucks them right up the intake of the Condenser,,!! good work there maaaaaaaaaaaate!

BTZ

Reply to
bitzah

..the wife????????????

BTZ

Reply to
bitzah

Well gee, it seems you have clipped out all the correct accurate information presented in all the replies (except mine for some reason) and substituted some silly remarks. That sure sounds like a troll to me.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Depending on the part of the country you are in..they do. I would have to go pull up some info on that...but I know its been hashed to death at some dealer meetings...

I replaced about 100 fairly new units out in the desert that were shot in under 5 years due to that. I have replaced more than that due to mineral loading on the coil back when a POS device called "The AC Buddy" was designedand sold out that way. It was basically a set of large misting nozzles, with a trim ring that went around the top of the unit, and connected to the local water supply... Ruined a unit in short order..short like in some cases under a year.

There is a guy down south that has a pad that goes around the coil, and uses the same principle. He has declined to supply any 3rd party testing, or, to allow any 3rd party testing. If you ask most AC builders, you will find that damage to other parts, with an improper set up can happen as well. The biggest issue is flooding the compressor after you drop the pressures, and dont have the charge adjusted, and you freeze the evap..and yes..seen that a few times as well...

Something like you advocate, while a good idea in theory, may allow on a large scale more issues than it helps.

Reply to
CBHVAC

And dont worry kiddo....one day you will find out who your daddy is...as soon as your mom comes out of her crack induced coma.. Any other stupid remarks want to be made....newbie bitch?

Reply to
CBHVAC

nah, she requires too much maintenance....

Reply to
Howie

if you bubble co2 through water, you produce carbonic acid. if you bubble sulfur dioxide through water, you produce sulfuric acid. both of those are pollutants, but it depends upon where you are in the world as to how much is available. there's not too many places in the world that doesn't have some sort of air pollution that is picked up by rain.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Sedona? :-) Very mysterious.

Maybe that AZ system had Al fins on Cu tubing, vs Al on Al for my AC. I just measured the tank pH... between neutral and "weakly acid" (6) on Fischer Alkacid Test Paper ("Successor to litmus paper.") Hard to read, between orange (neutral) and "slightly brownish orange."

...100 people RAINwatered their coils in the desert?

A "local water" heater in Phoenix might last 5 years...

With local vs rainwater...

Cooling the air vs the coil, a la Goswami?

Haven't seen that.

Anything's possible.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

But they are not minerals.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

..hey scumbag..whos'at you addressin'..? come clean. IF possible !

BTZ

Reply to
bitzah

Hello, to answer real questions regarding HVAC, I would recommend finding a forum that doesnt try to S*** on you everytime you post.

Reply to
Bob Brown