Seven most outrageous HOA rules

Why would you even place an offer without thoroughly reviewing the rules?

They must enjoy being victimized, then?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would, if mine was dirty. Machine wash warm, non-bleach laundry stuff. Clothes line dry.

I'd also (respectfully) cut up and burn a flag, if it was beyond useful life. Lot of things are proper, if done with respect. I think it's the American Legion, that has flag disposal for worn out flags. I remember from some where, they burn the old ones. With respect, of course.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Most VFWs will also take worn out flags. I had one get caught in a bad windstorm and tore up pretty badly. Took it the local VFW for disposal, they said they had a couple of members who could sew it up and would I be upset if they just repaired and gave it to a Vet who was not really able to buy one on his own. I said "sure"... and then went to the nearest WalMart and bought ten new ones and gave them to the Post.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

That is why I asked...I'm aware that AL will retire old flags. Those we donated were pretty expensive, with embroidered stars, so did not want to burn them if they could be cleaned and used again.

Reply to
norminn

-snip-

Exactly.

-snip-

Exactly-- and I'm one of them. I don't even care if you're Chesty friggin' Puller-- as a citizen, you follow the rules, especially when you put yourself under them voluntarily.

He doesn't need to start a country-- he just has to move out of the HOA. My neighbor and I do pretty much what we want-- and if one of us infringes on the other beyond what we can stand [1 each in 25 years] we discuss it & work around it.

I don't understand why anyone would want to live in a development, let alone an HOA controlled environment-- but 'different strokes' & all that. But once you make that choice, you've made it. Live with the rules or move.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Not mine.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thank you, Jim, for all your tender mercies and sympathy. I wasn't asking for them, but only relating a story that had to do with the thread.

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:

Steve B

Well, apparently not to some people.

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:

Steve B

Who must enjoy being victimized?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

However, that is not the current state of politics, rights, or mindsets. The rules must be changed to adjust to every individual, or it is discrimination. Don't you read the papers? ;-)

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:

Steve B

Don't the stars always go up, except when hoisted upside down as a sign of distress? Doesn't the wind determine which way the stars point?

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:

Steve B

That's nothing. Some people in cults cut up and burn their own underwear in ceremonies............... All while doing the secret salute, mind you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

We have a very nice cotton flag that was made in the USA. It has a letter with it that it was flown on July 4th, 1976 over the White House. The letter is autosigned by (ugh) Jimmy Carter. We are going to donate it to our church when they finish their new building, having it put in a glass display frame first, and with the letter on display. I hate to see it leave our house, but I'd like a lot of people to see it, and right now, it's sleeping in a safe.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"JimT" wrote

WE do, as investigators and agents of property management companies. Mainly to see what exactly the HOA dues fund is specifically responsible for, but then we get all this other stuff:

We have come up with such interesting things as: A property being listed as located in two different cities and the county. (This is common with lazy cut and pasters.) Pool maintenance being delegated to the HOA, when there was no pool. Rules that visitors under the age of 10 years old could not park their cars on the street, but must use designated parking. Rules that specified the exact shade of red that was to be used for curbs, using some international color code. Rules to standardize doorbell buttons. Rules to standardize the light bulbs you can use at the entrance of your home. (No bug lights.) Rules that go into very intricate details about how you can put out your garbage, and what hours you can put it out, and how much time you have to bring your cans back in. The type and color of cans you can use. The power washing of cans regularly. The amount of smoke one can put out from an outdoor cooking device, and the hours one can put it out. The proper procedure, timing, and way to pick up and dispose of pet waste, even going in to details when the waste is of the consistency that it cannot be picked up, in which case it must be hosed down into the lawn for certain distance from the point of "deposit." The outlawing or requiring of peepholes in doors. The color of exterior doorknobs. Pool attire, including shoes, and the outlawing of some types of robes and towels that have sayings on them. Rules on bathing caps in the pool, and the banning of them inside clubhouses.

You get the idea. I could go on for hours.

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:

Steve B

Well, one problem is that the "government" changed the rules and essentially gave the HOAs a green light for just about any foolishment they can think of.

Pre-1990 or so, they were just a convenience to provide a structure to maintain the roads which (because of 2nd rate construction) could not be turned over to the government.

The courts used to protect that individual owners from HOA excesses but now if the letter of the agreement is adhered to, they can do just about anything. For example, where we own, the HOA decided to take away 2 of our

4 parking spaces even when all 4 were on out lot.

We spent a few $1k in legal bills but the bottom line is that today, they are a law unto themselves.

In the late 80s, a circuit court judge affirmed my right to keep folks from parking on our property without our permission but that has changed

Now that same HOA wants the right to approve tenants! They demand $20 to "screen" prospects.

As the Jews say, "Never Again."

Reply to
John Gilmer

Careful how you type about Chesty :o) One of my children is a graduate of Parris Island. :o)

Reply to
norminn

If not on a flagpole, but displayed against a building, then the field of stars should be to the left as viewed. If hanging on another means, then the stars are to be toward the north or ...east? Can't remember.

Reply to
norminn

U.S. Code

TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > § 7

Position and manner of display

§ 8. Respect for flag

Found this about HOA's *

FREEDOM TO DISPLAY THE AMERICAN FLAG Pub. L. 109-243, July 24, 2006, 120 Stat. 572, provided that:

"SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE. "This Act may be cited as the 'Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005'.

"SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS. "For purposes of this Act - "(1) the term 'flag of the United States' has the meaning given the term 'flag, standard, colors, or ensign' under section 3 of title 4, United States Code; "(2) the terms 'condominium association' and 'cooperative association' have the meanings given such terms under section

604 of Public Law 96-399 (15 U.S.C. 3603); "(3) the term 'residential real estate management association' has the meaning given such term under section 528 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (26 U.S.C. 528); and "(4) the term 'member' - "(A) as used with respect to a condominium association, means an owner of a condominium unit (as defined under section 604 of Public Law 96-399 (15 U.S.C. 3603)) within such association; "(B) as used with respect to a cooperative association, means a cooperative unit owner (as defined under section 604 of Public Law 96-399 (15 U.S.C. 3603)) within such association; and "(C) as used with respect to a residential real estate management association, means an owner of a residential property within a subdivision, development, or similar area subject to any policy or restriction adopted by such association.

"SEC. 3. RIGHT TO DISPLAY THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES. "A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.

"SEC. 4. LIMITATIONS. "Nothing in this Act shall be considered to permit any display or use that is inconsistent with - "(1) any provision of chapter 1 of title 4, United States Code, or any rule or custom pertaining to the proper display or use of the flag of the United States (as established pursuant to such chapter or any otherwise applicable provision of law); or "(2) any reasonable restriction pertaining to the time, place, or manner of displaying the flag of the United States necessary to protect a substantial interest of the condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association."

-End-

Oren

Semper Fi to him/her. I graduated in Dec '68. Was pleased to hear recently that they still say the same thing at lights out [according to a 'class of 2000 or so' grad]; "God bless mom & dad; God bless the USA; God bless the USMC; & God bless Chesty Puller, wherever he is."

I met 'Chesty' Puller Jr. at a reunion of my VN Bn in 1987 or so. So I'm only 1 degree of separation away from 'the man'.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht