Seeking opinions on a Sears 42" lawn tractor

Who makes the Sears lawn tractors nowadays?

Reply to
Nonny
42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. Some research online

Put it on craigslist for $75, take $50!

Reply to
Joseph Capgras

As best I can determine, this year, the red ones are Husqvarna, and the gray ones are MTD.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Did I mention the 4-digit checks being painful? Deere's start at 1500 around here, for the manual-shift model.

Reply to
aemeijers

I looked at the local 'real' mower place, and they had a 4-year-old low-hour 42" husqvarna for 1100. I was gonna go test drive it, until a buddy gave me a dope slap and said that was within $200 of a NEW 42" with similar specs, but a less fancy name. That is when I started wading through web sites, and learned current sears ARE husqvarna.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

See comment upstream about Deere being a lot more expensive. I only have

2/3 acre, and don't plan to start a lawn business.
Reply to
aemeijers

I'll look again, but I didn't see any used ones in their outside row. Mebbe on the other side of the building or something. It is a small store.

Reply to
aemeijers

I looked a little at the end of last summer- didn't see any killer deals. And I need/want it NOW. For some reason, my allergies are giving me a lot more trouble this year.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Go for it. Bought the identical model last year. Works fine for me. My guess is longevity is more a factor of fresh gas, fresh oil, and simple maintenance instead of brand names.

Reply to
Jim

I'll agree with this eval of the low quality of current JD consumer products -- when my JD 135 lawn tractor (gently used and garaged when not in use) was three years old the paint was peeling off the body in sheets. Now half of the body is down to bare metal. JD's answer was - "Tough, it's out of warranty.". Now the local dealer has stopped carrying JD, so if you buy one from Home Depot or Lowes there's no dealer around for repairs.

Reply to
JimR

"JimR" wrote

Have you searched for a dealer? There are 5 dealers within 30 miles of me. Closest is 19 miles.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's a "John Oh, Deere" :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Hmm, are you good at taking things apart (and getting them back together again)? If so, see if you can find a couple of identical old mowers from Freecycle / Craigslist, and mix 'n match to make something good. Treat it to some new blades, belts too if needed.

That or buy some goats :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

aemeijers:

Use the money toward hiring a lawn company.

If you really want a riding mower, buy a Toro/Wheelhorse, anything over $2500 (anything that costs less will be 'branded' but not made by Toro or John Deere). I've owned two Toros, then bought a John Deere and I've regretted it everytime I mow.

Reply to
Mac Cool

There are two small-town dealers, each 31 miles away. The first full service dealer is over 50 miles each way.

Reply to
JimR

"JimR" wrote in news:yvmdnRtzJZ0_5mHWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

That's where you go, then. duh!