Seeking opinions on a Sears 42" lawn tractor

Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. Some research online says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale this weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.

I find writing 4-digit checks physically painful, but I am also finding

3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my allergies, sinuses, and hives. Thinking that perhaps cutting that exposure time would reduce my allergy problems, I am tempted to splurge. Looking for honest opinions about the current sears mowers of this series. (the red ones, not the gray ones, which are apparently MTD this year.)
Reply to
aemeijers

You might want to ask about the horsepower rating if that part is important to you. Some lawnmowers aren't what they claim to be. There was a class action lawsuit over it. My brother is one of those who gets a few $$ back because of it. This is the first link that popped up about it:

Dean Hoffman

Sears does not have a good reputation these days. Go for a John Deere, you won't be sorry. But buy it from a real dealer not a big box store.

Reply to
EXT

Here is a link with some reviews. I prefer the manual transmissions, this one has hydrostatic which most prefer. Check any gates you have to drive through to make sure it will clear. Riding mowers are riding mower and if you want a perfect cut well,... a riding mower is a riding mower and a lot depends on how smooth the yard is. Evidently you can mow while backing which I find very useful, many riding mowers you have to by-pass the safety to do that. Cup holders!!!!!! you might be able to use that if your yard is smooth enough. It's a one cylinder so it will vibrate more than a twin. Turning radius is very good for this type of mower. As for being on sale, Sears always has a sale going. I say go for it, and buy a six pack of beer so you can use the cup holder. Some reviews,

FatterDumber& Happier Moe

I don't like the entire Shears system. I used to work for that company. I'd reccomend a different brand, and maybe buy a used one from a place that repairs mowers.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My neighbor has a John Deere that is a piece of cr--.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Consumer Reports best buys under $2000: John Deere LA 115 John Deere LA 105 Cub Cadet LTX 1040 13RX90AR Cub Cadet LTX 1045 13RX91AT Craftsman 28724 (discontinued) Similar 28914, 28924

CR didn't rate the model you are looking at.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Look for a John Deere with a Kawasaki engine. B & S don't last as long or run as well from my experience.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hmmm. I'd say today every thing is crap!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Have you checked out the returned lawn eqt at Sears?

You might luck out and find a "used" mower for less than 1K.

I bought a $1200 mower from them a few yrs ago for $700.

Reply to
Ron

I'm not your neighbor but I also have a John Deere that is junk after only 2 years of very light use (42 hours). Going to Wal-Mart and purchase a low end no-name mower.

Reply to
IGot2P

I bought a used Sears 4'2 inch mower for $200.00 Changed the oil, sharpened the blades, put new belts, adjusted and greased it and it runs trouble free every year. Even put a bagger on it. I had to remove the deck brakes because they were jamming and preventing disengagement of the blades. I also bypassed that irritating seat switch.

Reply to
LSMFT

Much better deals near the end of summer, patience can save you money.

Reply to
Phisherman

a 42" won't need more than about 10 real hp, so i'd say if they are calling it a 21hp, it's probably making 12 or so. It'll be fine.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I have one that sounds like a very similar model, purchased about 4-5 years ago. Got about 35 hours on it, and I have been very happy. It starts first time with no hassle. Plenty powerful enough. Excellent turning circle. I used to pull a roller behind it and it would mow and haul that thing with no problem. I changed out the attachment for mulching (hadn't realized when I purchased that this was an extra cost option, but not expensive). Foot pedal for reverse is very helpful. Cruise control function a waste of time, I never use it. At the time I was planning on a Deere - always prefer to go for the best brand for something that's going to be around a while - but the extra cost just didn't justify it in my view. And at this stage, I still think it was the right decision.

Reply to
cubby

I don't think Sears cares when it comes to returns. Mine was bought right before summer and I'm in FL where some people cut their grass almost yr round.

Reply to
Ron

I have a Craftsman 18 HP, 42" that sold for $999, now into 3rd year. Low end, pretty basic but it performs great. Starts right up every time--even after the winter storage period (just run it out of gas and remove battery). Does everything it is supposed to. Would suggest that you get the mulch kit (blade etc) with it. Saves a lot of clean up time. MLD

Reply to
MLD

A mower is a mower. They all have either a B&S, Kawasaki, Honda or Tecumseh engine. The engines are all good if you maintain them properly. The front axles are either stamped sheet metal or cast iron. The sheet metal ones suck. The decks in the 42" sizes are mostly sheet metal.

Personally, I would opt for a smaller zero turn. Maybe a Toro or something comparable if all you're going to do is mow. However, if you plan on using it to plow snow, a zero turn won't do it.

If you plan on staying at the house you're in now, don't fret over the cost. Get what you want and it will pay for itself over time, as long as you maintain it. If you are a person who lacks the ability to maintain a mower, you might as well go for the cheapest and buy a new one every few years.

I work on small engine equipment. Brand name don't usually matter as much as price. A john deere that costs $1200 is just as cheap as a Sears for $1200.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. =A0Some research online

Mine came with the munching plug and blades. I bought a catcher/bagger and the regular blades for it. Not only is the catcher a PITA to a to attach to the deck, but the tube clogs up to easily. I believe I used it 3 times and then it just sat in the garage. A wasted $200.

Reply to
Ron

On Fri, 21 May 2010 07:48:31 -0700 (PDT), cubby wrote Re Re: Seeking opinions on a Sears 42" lawn tractor:

That's less than 10 hours/year. Not much mowing there to really make a reliability judgment.

Reply to
Vinny From NYC