Sears Refrigerator side by side - water filter - scam?

Once more thanks for your input Wayne. It is an interesting discussion. I guess sometimes things are not black and white. Have a nice day :)

Reply to
harold balls

On Thu 15 Sep 2005 02:12:20p, harold balls wrote in alt.home.repair:

LOL! I hear you. Actually, I don't disagree with you at all. I was only pointing out the premise of their recommendation. Let's just say that the indicator light is for "dummies" and it's probably best that people who don't have a clue follow the prescribed recommendation. For those who can perceive the difference in flow and/or taste, then that is probably the best guide.

As to the "two week" recommendation, that is as much for health reasons and CYA as anything else. When the filter doesn't have a frequent flow, in certain environments it is possible for bacteria or other organic contaminants to multiply.

Back in the late 1960s, the Heater Division of Eaton Corp. developed one of the first activated charcoal water filters for residential contertop use. The activiated charcoal cartridge in this filter was significantly larger than any of those currently installed in refrigerators. Their general recommendation in their literature was to change the cartridge annually.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Whirpool has developed a new fridge that only tells you when the filter really needs to be replaced. It has a differential pressure guage and does random sampling to make sure the purity level is within spec. When it detects something odd in the water, it uses a built in internet connection to connect with the Whirlpool testing and engineering department for further analyis and, if the levels are bad, they will give you a personal phone call to explain it to you and let you know you need a new filter and where to buy one. This additional stuff makes the refrigerator cost about $2000 more than the other ones. But for you people who don't think the 6 month timer is good enough and ends up wasting filters, maybe this new fridge is for you. Perhaps in about 60 years it would pay for itself in filter savings.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Reply to
User Example

Do you have a link to this new fridge that whirlpool has developed? The most expensive one their website list (retail $2795), still has the 6-month filter in the base with the indicator light. I would like to read about this. Thanks!

Reply to
harold balls

I bought a Sears side by side 2002 and according to my manual, it does not have a filter. I had a Sears service man last year and he said the same thing.

My daughter just bought a Sears and hers has a filter that has to be changed.

Check your manual.

shirley

Reply to
Shirley Thebaglady

On Sun 18 Sep 2005 02:45:04a, harold balls wrote in alt.home.repair:

I seriously have my doubts whether this actually exists.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Yea Wayne , I didn't think it existed I just wanted to see how User would respond. I think He is missing the main point I'm trying to make in this topic. Either that or he works for sears :) good day!

Reply to
harold balls

Of course it doesn't exist. I was just being sarcastic as I illustrated that they could make refers with filters that actually tell you when they need to be changed but it would cost you a lot more extra money. Heck, my whole house water softener doesn't even tell me when it needs a change.

Reply to
User Example

I guess when it comes down to it, I made a bigger deal about this than was necessary. Like someone pointed out earlier, They have this type of setup for the people out there that wouldn't have a clue about when to change out a filter. I think I'll go away now. good day.

Reply to
harold balls