Screendoor repair ?

I have one of the cheaper screendoors on the front and back of my home. Well, tonight the kids didn't get it latched and the wind caught it and swung it open . Well, it has the hinges that have the little plastic inserts in it that stick up into the door frame . I am sure you know what I mean . And you also probably know that these pieces break and then the door wants to fall out from the frame . Just wondering if you can get these replacement pieces and/or if you have found a better replacement than the plastic inserts.

And solutions besides get a more high $ screendoor as that isn't in the budget as of right now :-) Thanks, Raz

Reply to
Hilltop Cycle ATV

Whether you get a new door or fix the present door, it will save trouble to put in a wind break. We had the same problem, in a rental, years and years ago. The owner put UGLY particle board panels on either side of the door. I took the panels off the 4x4 uprights and put a sheet of wood lattice on. I was surprised but glad that the lattice provided sufficient wind break to keep our door from ripping off it's frame.

Reply to
Norminn

I am not familiar with the plastic hinges you were referencing. Got pics?

Reply to
scott21230

This is a common problem with rental units. Save one of the plastic pins. You may or may not be able to buy replacements at full service glass shops.

However you with a little patience, but not much more than inserting the new pins make a much stronger repair. Take the pin with you to the lumber yard. you will neet to purchase a piece of toilet supply line -- the grey poly type, not the braided type. And also some galvanized gutter nails. The inside diameter of the supply line will exactly fit over the gutter nail. The outside diameter of the supply will fit tightly in the round alluminum channel of the door where the little pin would be normally pressed into. Also there are some little thin washers that will closely fit over the shaft of the gutter nail whose outside diameter will approximate the outside diameter of the round alluminum channel of the door.

cut off some 1/2 inch lengths of the supply tube and press into the door channel. put the thin washer between the door channel and the top and bottom of the hinge. Pass the long gutter nail through the supply tube inserts and on down through the hinge. The head of the gutter nail will be outside the door channel at this point. When the head is about 1/2 inch above the inserts. Gently press the head into the door channel. Miraculously the head is the size of the outside of the supply line and the inside of the channel. Put a little grease on the nail before mounting. All the fits will be fairly tight so you may need some channel locks to do the press. This is no worse than getting the little plastic hinge pins in place.

This repair is strong enough that you will tear the door completely off the house before it breaks.

John Lipe

Reply to
jllipe

[...]

I guess I should say that the " hinge Pins" are plastic . I can get pics but it is dark outside right now so the lighting won't be very good. Thanks, raz

Reply to
Hilltop Cycle ATV