"schedule" of pipe - info?

What's the difference between Schedule 40 and, say, Schedule 60 or 80 pipe? I'm primarily concerned with PVC. PO of my house installed some cisterns, and the fittings are Schedule 60 PVC. I need to replace some of them, what should I buy? Are any of them more UV-resistant than others?

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Schedule relates to wall thickness/burst strength only.

--

Reply to
dpb

OK, thanks... I guess Schedule 40 will be OK for this app then as it is simply a 500 gallon cistern drain.

Now get this... here's my rant of the day. Original drain plumbing, inside to out was:

- Schedule 80 PVC 1" to 1/2" NPT reducer bushing

- PVC 1/2" nipple appx. 2.5" long

- PVC Sch. 80 1/2" ball valve

- Brass 1/2" nipple appx. 2.5" long

- Galvanized 3/4" to 1/2" NPT reducer bushing (backwards of course)

- Brass 3/4" FIP to garden hose fitting

- generic cast metal wye/double ball valve garden hose fitting, one side busted :(

Failure mode was landscaping crew (that would be Mom and/or SWMBO; last weekend was quality family time/clean up my messy ass yard. Yeah, my parents are weird. Dad and I were manning the wood chipper when this occured. My dad bought me a wood chipper "for Christmas" this year. Actually a useful and appreciated present. But anyway) kicking above Rube Goldberg plumbing assembly snapping off PVC nipple.

Now who'da thunk that putting three different metals together in the same assembly would cause them to bond themselves together for all time making the entire assembly unsalvageable? Esp. when they can be replaced by the following:

- 1" to 3/4" NPT PVC reducer bushing

- brass 3/4" close hex nipple

- 3/4" PVC ball valve

- brass 3/4" NPT to garden hose fitting

getting rid of a buttload of length, restriction, and potential for galvanic corrosion (and the stupid wye which I never used anyway.)

sheesh!

The only downside of course was that Home Despot did not have a 1" to

3/4" bushing in either PVC or brass, so I had to order it from McMaster-Carr, which wasn't the end of the world as I actually had been forgetting to order something else from them for a couple days now.

nate

(I guess previous owners of houses are a lot like previous owners of cars...)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sounds like he was going through is junk box to cobble that together? Failure was mixing all those different metals and the galvanic action that took place over the years and then the landscapers came along and finished it off, but my guess is it was failing as soon as water was introduced and failed when stressed.

Good luck, Rich

Reply to
Rich