Satalite Dish?

Fiber optic cable is a lot different than the old style cable on reception.

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Karen) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Well,with an ordinary NTSC TV(not hi-definition),even a digital cable source has to be converted BACK into NTSC video modulated on CH3/4 to be displayed on a TV,unless you go thru the S-video inputs,which many TV's do not have.And then you are limited to the max resolution that NTSC can provide.So,it's entirely possible for him to have 'crystal clear' analog signals;his system does a good job on signal/noise ratio.Since he says its a fiber system,that's very probable.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Joe" wrote in news:MHgTa.119333$Ph3.15577@sccrnsc04:

Yes,fiber systems use fewer amplifiers in the distribution chain,whcih means less added noise,hence a better signal/noise ratio.Also,fiber is immune to many external noise sources common to pure metallic cable systems. Even a loose or corroded F-connector can add significant noise to a cable system.It's one of the most common problems.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Gary Tait wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not mine,formerly Time-Warner,now called BrightHouse.They have total scrambled system;no decoder box(addressable),no cable,period.

Not according to the industry cable magazines I subscribed to as part of my job.Extra cable boxes were said to be very profitable rentals.Authorizing them these days does not require much labor,no home visit.(just as pay-per- view works.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Joe" wrote in news:LTcTa.117988$N7.16650@sccrnsc03:

Then there's nothing stopping you from running a cable to your next-door neighbor to give him free cable,or split the bill with him for doing it. You have an unsecure system.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The bottom line here is that everyone considering satellite vs. cable has to look at what is available in their own local area. Every geographic area is different. Where I am its a no-brainer to use satellite. Similar programming (with local channels, an extra set-top box is at least $5 cheaper per month than is the cable service. The only two reasons not to do satellite are 1. Local sports team fans have to have cable to get the cable feed of those teams games

  1. You don't want to ruin the line of your abode by a dish sticking out from your chimney or roof or whatever.

The funky thing is that I have also subscribed to basic cable TV service but told them not to hook it up. That little deal ends saving me another $3 on my cable internet bill.

You've got to look at what's available in your area. Take advanatage of the best deal for you. Don;t pay attention to people comparing non digital cable pictures todigital satellite pictures. That's just apples and oranges and not fair.

The weather concerns stated here come in to forms

1: Very TALL clouds (not all rain or snow clouds necessarily) will knock out your picture from anywhere between a few sends to a few minutes depending on how fast the cloud is moving. Out of 100 storms I've had here only 3-5 of them come with tall enough clouds to knowck out the picture and then only for a few minutes at most.

  1. Snow. If the dish is placed in a place that it will collect snow, if enough falls on the right parts of the dish, you'll suffer some or complete signal loss. I've taken a broom to my dish one or twice each winter.

Good luck

Reply to
LaManchaDQ

When snow builds up on the face of the dish you do loose signal. You have to keep running out to sweep off the snow build up.......

Reply to
Bernie Eshleman

I have cable internet AND a dish. I looked at scrapping the dish when I got broadband, but it just didn't make sense -- I pay $36 a month (tax included) for A LOT more channels than even digital cable at $50/month.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

"LaManchaDQ" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Different areas of the CONUS have different satellite signal strength levels.I belive 'just clouds' knocking out the signal is fairly rare. Rain fade is very possible,though.Snowstorm would be worse,I suspect.

The snow-in-dish problem is why someone created a system to mount the dish indoors,looking out a window.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

That's what dish covers are for. The dish indoors thing is for those that have no balcony, or cannot install a dish outside.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Gary Tait wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Seems like you still could get snow/ice buildup even with a cover,although the vertical angle of the dish and it's shallow parabola would seem to preclude it filling with snow. A cover would also increase the wind loading.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

It cost money to purchase, warehouse, prepare, repair, deploy, and if one comes back unrepairable, and also the cost of authorizing it. If anything, the satellite providers are profiting, as they aren't taking a loss on hardware, the customer.

FWIW, until last year, Canadian satellite providers had no fees for extra receivers on an account, and the fees they instituted last year are one fee for all additional receivers, which is waived or reduced if you subscribe to a premuim package.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Gary Tait wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They buy those boxes in large volumes,and the monthly rental fees pay for them quickly.'Authorizing' a box is simple;type it's code number into the terminal software program and it's done.It's done the same way Direct TV boxes are done,through the cable signal.Look at how the Direct TV systems are virtually given away with a subscription for an example of low cost. This is from cable industry magazines I subscribed to when working for Tektronix.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

kill file aarra monvsesien the ass

Reply to