Samsung 27" TV doesn't work.

So left-handed people can't work on TVs?

Reply to
CJT

Hi...

Hehehe.. none that I ever met :)

Seriously, the theory was that the left hand (shoulder) was nearest the heart, so the path of current flow would be least likely fatal from the right hand to wherever it was going, rather than the left.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:18:47 GMT, George Jetson put finger to keyboard and composed:

The HR Diemen HR8720 appears to be an equivalent:

FBT wiring diagram with voltages:

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

It means the crowbar circuit is working as it is suppose to. Most likely the horizontal output transistor or output is shorted.

Reply to
tnom

snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Could you explain this? Thanks.

Reply to
George Jetson

Proof by assertion? You haven't convinced me.

Do you know that the TV can kill you after it is off, after it is unplugged, for days afterwards or maybe even weeks if the discharge device is bad?

Do you know how to discharge the picture tube after the set is off, without touching it electrically?

Even I don't know if the part that precedes the flyback is dangerous. I just never touch it.

Reply to
mm

If he had any high voltage we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Reply to
gfretwell

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Then by all means feel free to NOT offer any advice.

Reply to
George Jetson

I do feel free not to offer any advice, and I also feel free to offer it.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My point is that if you're not convinced of my knowledge of proper safety precautions, then don't offer any troubleshooting advice.

Reply to
George Jetson

I don't recall you ever mentioning that you have an isolation transformer.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:18:47 +0000, George Jetson Has Frothed:

If your service manual has a troubleshooting flow chart, follow it. However in the absence of the proper test equipment and the experience to use it you might as well keep your hands out of it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Charlie Morgan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You're correct. I didn't. In fact, I don't think I mentioned ANY specific safety precautions.

Reply to
George Jetson

So, what would lead anyone to believe you know what you are doing? The simple statement that, "I know what I'm doing?

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Charlie Morgan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Actually, I think there are three types of people contributing to this thread. One, people who believe that I know what I'm doing well enough to follow simple instructions and not kill myself. Two, people who don't care if I know what I'm doing well enough to follow simple instructions and not kill myself, but contribute information anyway. And three, people who withhold information until I can somehow prove that I know what I'm doing well enough to follow simple instructions and not kill myself.

If you fall into one of the first two catagories, then I appreciate any information you can give. If you fall into the last catagory, then feel free to ignore this thread.

I'm not trying to be an asshole. But I'm certainly not going to provide a resume to anyone who thinks I need to prove my worthiness to receive information.

Reply to
George Jetson

If you are not "trying" to be an asshole, then I guess it comes naturally, and without effort for you. People who have experience working on televisions have an awareness of how how dangerous they are for the smug amateur handyman who thinks he knows all the answers when he doesn't even know what questions to ask. Those who want to make sure you are not one of "those", are merely being responsible and showing concern for your welfare. They are trying to help you without getting you injured or killed. It's not about you or your worthiness. It's about them being responsible and caring.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Charlie Morgan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Really, I'm not. I just think that my safety is solely MY responsibility, and if I'm comfortable with my level of knowledge in this area, then anyone who wishes to help me should accept that I am.

You speak as if there are numerous people who are concerned about my level of expertise in TV repair, and I'm writing replies bashing them all. Actually, my original response was to one particular person, mm. Several people asked about my experience, and I politely answered. Several people gave me safety advice, which I gladly accepted. A number of people just accepted that I knew enough to work on TV's and offered troubleshooting advice. As a matter of fact, YOU were the second person to give me advice, with no thought as to my qualifications. By the way, thanks for the advice.

On the other hand, mm flatly called me a liar, and then proceeded to quiz me with VERY basic TV troubleshooting questions, implying that he wouldn't answer any questions unless I passed the test. Even though I was VERY insulted, I just told him that he didn't have to offer any advice if he didn't think I was qualified to apply it.

That's when you stepped in. Yes, I realize everyone can read my replies, but that doesn't mean those replies are directed to everyone. I was specifically replying to mm, not you, or anyone else. So if I said something to offend you specifically, I apologize. But if you're offended by what I said to mm, please keep it to yourself. It's none of your business.

Reply to
George Jetson

I don't have any idea what's on TV tonight, but I am thinking you are going to miss it.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Charlie Morgan wrote in news:ctm5p25j3ajetaf4ctpjf0p0flrnmf34sn@

4ax.com:

Maybe, but not for lack of a working TV. I have three.

Reply to
George Jetson

Do you, or do you just jizz on the circuit board?

Reply to
Malissa Baldwin