Roofing Repair Problem

A patio cover was added to our house years back. It has leaked between where the old eave was attatched to the new patio.

The other day, we peeled back a couple of rows of tiles and shingles, and put in the fiberglass sheeting and the white goop you get at home depot. I figured it would be like all glue and dry within a couple of days. If was up there for four days. It did not dry, and did not stick to a previous layer of white fabric and topcoat that was already on there.

Did I get the wrong one? The guy at Home Depot told me that was what I needed to use. It did not stick at all, and now I have to do the job over again. Anyone use that white stuff? This was the stuff that is thick like oatmeal, and you put it on with a putty knife. Not the thinner stuff you put on with a roller. I am amazed that it did not stick to the previous layer.

Any thoughts?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 07:50:57 -0800, "SteveB" scribbled this interesting note:

Your repair isn't optimal.

Take off two or three rows of shingles. Buy either a roll of metal or a roll of modified bitumen material. Remove all the old "patches" and clean things up. Buy a few tubes of urethane sealer (not caulk, not roof cement, not silicone, but urethane.) Carefully apply where the flat roof meets the house. You want to seal this joint. Next roll out the flashing material. Make certain at least six inches of this material will be under the roofing on the house, more is ok as well. Attach to the decking material with fasteners at approximately eight to ten inch intervals. Apply dots of the urethane sealer every sixteen to eighteen inches to the patio roof just above the edge of the flashing material. When the urethane cures over the next day or so it will attach the flashing material to the patio roof without making additional penetrations like screws or nails would. Replace the roofing on the house taking care to install the shingles correctly and seal with roof cement any possible problem areas (but don't get carried away with the roof cement. More isn't always better. The right amount in the correct spots is what you want.)

The keys are to seal the joint where the patio roof meets the house, and to flash the flat roof so that when it rains the water is carried well below the level of that joint in case your seal there is not perfect.

PS. If you ever have to ask a question at Home Depot then you would most likely be better off if you simply left as most of the time their hired help is somewhat less than competent.

John Willis