roof repair

Thanks for the reply. Two separate problems. One is is a small leak.

The other is hard to explain. At the point where the roof over m front doorway meets my main foof, where that whole angle is, down th whole length of the roof, I think there is something wrong under th shingles. When it rains, the rain goes under the shingles and the don't dry right, and the water runs behind the edge of the end of th roof so it doesn't get to the gutter. That makes it run straight dow the corner of my brick and straight down into the ground which has no eventually somehow caused it to leak into my basement during har rains. That corner of my brick never dries and the shingles also see to be wet for a very long time. That part of the house faces the wes so it gets less sun.

I told you it was hard to explain. lol

Since my last post the neighbor behind me has had some work done o their roof so I am going to try to go and not be shy, and knock o their door and ask them about their roofers

-- jakobs wif

----------------------------------------------------------------------- jakobs wife's Profile:

this thread:
post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or

Reply to
jakobs wife

Fairly common area for mistakes to be made...there should have been flashing installed that may not have been or wasn't done properly or, sometimes, the flashing can fail if there's a water path...also, there is possibly a design problem at the interface, particularly if the porch roof was added later...

Your solution of seeing how roofers did for the neighbors and if satsifactory, calling them is a good starting point...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

A lot of this is a design problem. Often the roof will have a 3 in 12 pitch or better but flatten out to 2 in 12 or less on the porch. Comp shingles don't do well on less than a 3 in 12 pitch. Wind or capillary action causes migration of the water back under the shingles.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf