Roku's New HDMI Streaming Stick: $50 and More Than 1,000 Channels

I am still a fan of the WDTV live. I play BBC shows that end up on my hard drive. The Web TV stuff is not as interesting as Usenet content.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the Roku definition of

1000 channels is marketing BS. I took a quick look at their list of "channels" and the only thing there that I see that I regularly watch is Nova. It appears that most, maybe all the Nova content is available online. It looks like you can watch the NBC Nightly News, which claims it's the only major news broadcast that's available online in it's entirety, but it's delayed 4 hours from when it's broadcast here in EST. More typical looks like you get some clips of some content from a lot of places, but it looks to me like you're not going to watch the same content realtime on most of the channels that you get via cable or sat.

I'm sure it can be fine for some folks, I just think you need to figure out if what you actually watch is on there. For me, the answer is no.

Reply to
trader4

I'm using my WDTV right now to listen to "The Tech Guy" (a call-in show about technology) netcast.

I wouldn't want anything built in to a TV or usable only with that. I depend on the ability to make use of the output. It this case to distribute it to other TVs in this house, so I'm not restricted to this room while listening.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd