Riding mower won't start

On 06/08/2017 06:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

In my opinion, ToyBilt is junk...no matter where you buy it.
The professional mowing services in my area run Exmark or Kubota because they are both true commercial mowers. These guys are running them 11 hours a day. A ToyBilt in a commercial environment wouldn't last a week.
I have a 13-year-old Exmark with a 28hp Kohler Command Pro and it has never broken down on me (home use only). All I do is grease/oil/air and preventative maintenance stuff and use ethanol-free gasoline. Awesome machine!

to be pretty good stuff. Now it's just another MTD brand -They make some fairly high end stuff, and they make total junk - all with the same brand names. Generally the big box stores only carry the "price point" junk - which you CAN also buy from a lawn equipment shop.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

I made a major mistake about 10 years ago. Bought a John Deere mower from a dealer. Lowes had the same modle. Found out later that was a piece of junk and the transaxel would wear out after about 300 to 400 hours as mine did. This was for only home usage. About 1.5 acers to mow . Totally turned me against Deere.
Looks like the 'big names' would not sell the junk at the dealer. Gives them a bad reputation.
Damn and I was thing my next might be a John, BUT, I gotta own my part in these problems, I didn't keep the engine very clean, I WS shocked at the grudge I cleaned off the outside of the carb, and the gunk in the bowl on this new and low hour machine.
I won't be using cheap gas again, using up the last to clean the carb and parts along with better maintenance.
On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 16:39:52 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The good JD product is STILL good - but you don't get "real green" for an MTD price - don't fool yourself!!!
On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 12:33:17 -0400, Ralph Mowery

The dealers had to start selling the price-point "junk" because customers price-shopped. If nobody bought the useless crap, the companies wouldn't build it - which is why high quality stuff is basically not available in North America any more. Nobody wants to pay the price - - -
I don't know, my pop loved em, but thats going back years. I haven't been h appy at all with it, but like I said in another post, I played a part in th at by not being able to clean it properly. I'll give em this, their custome r service is top notch, lifetime tech support? Not many companies do that a nymore.
On 6/8/2017 5:06 AM, Bud wrote:

I bought a Honda several years ago and it has been trouble free. Worth the extra expense. Only serviced once as it required maintenance I could not do myself.
The Honda mower has a fuel shut off valve to easily run dry at end of season. My generator has one too but not my snow thrower. Shut off valve probably only costs 25 cents for manufacturer to add to machine but save owner a lot of fuel headaches.

For a generator you may want to test run every couple of weeks a fuel shut off is good. For the Snow blower and other engines that may not be ran for 6 months or more, it is best to do like my garden tiller, let it run totally out of gas. I have a very small garden and only use the tiller about 2 or 3 times at the start of the season, it will sit for about 11 months. I just let it run empty. Burns up, what, less than a dollars woth of gas. Every year, with fresh gas (I even use the ethanol free and add Satbil) it starts with one or at the most 2 pulls of the rope.
On 6/8/2017 10:17 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Threads like this remind me to check generator and I did so yesterday.
I also had a quart mason jar about 1/3 full with 2 cycle oil, ethanol containing gas and Stabil about 2 years old and tried it in my gas powered weed wacker and it worked fine.
I knew stabilized gas in sealed containers is good for 2 years and I save such then use in cars, and refill.