Restrap Patio Chair - Vinyl Strap - Slotted Frame

I am repairing an old (1960's ?) vinyl strap patio chair. The chair is made of solid tube aluminum 5/8 inch thick. The aluminum has a 1/4 inch slot cut into it where the vinyl strap is inserted. The original strap had small rectangular aluminum tabs that were crimped over each end. When I crimp an old tab onto the new vinyl strap, the end is difficult to insert into the slot. I can get it on the first end ok using pliers, but the second end is very difficult since I can only get to one side, due to the wrap of the strap. Is there a special tool or trick I need to know about?

Thanks

Frank Hayes

Reply to
Frank Hayes

Better tubing than the old poly webbing. (My grandpa used to work for Arvin, which made that kind back in 50s and early sixties. He'd drag the rejects and webbing roll ends home- we sat on that junk till the 70's.) Only trick I know is to leave the tubing sitting out in the sun, till it is almost too hot too handle, before you lace up the chair. It is a lot stretchier then. You can pull the other tubes that are blocking access to the side till you get the end seated, and then push them back in place.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Did you heat the strapin boiling water? These things shrink when they cool. You want about 20% stretch when hot then you can work it in the slot and let it shrink up to tension the strap.

Reply to
gfretwell

The length is not the problem, it is the thickness of the strap and tab vs the width of the slot.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Hayes