Restoring Vinyl Tile

I have what looks to be about 5 year old vinyl tile that is rust colored and is in pretty good shape in my kitchen. It would look a lot better if the black "fake grout" that surrounds the 1 foot tiles was not faded. Does anyone have any ideas as to really good cleaners for tile or something that I could use to make the fake grout look more like its original color; ie something that would be equivalent to regrouting the tile black. For instance, are there any permanent coloring materials that would work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

Reply to
DaileyJohn.20.decij

We used to have that if it was a brick color, I think the tile is a solid vinyl with a painted recess, of course this isnt normal but id try black oil interior satin trim paint, id guess knowing the tile, brush and rag off the excess mess, but it will take days. You need it scrubbed real clean first. But black is probably to black, get a deep bronzetone and mix into black a slightly lighter color. Those are quality solid vinyl floors still made today.

Reply to
m Ransley

normal but id try black oil interior satin trim paint, id guess knowing the tile, brush and rag off the excess mess, but it will take days. You need it scrubbed real clean first. But black is probably to black, get a deep bronzetone and mix into black a slightly lighter color.

***********

M Ransley,

Do you really think that the paint will adhere to the "fake grout" -- if I were to add something black to the "grout", I was thinking more in terms of some sort of permanent ink or stain. However, if paint would actually work that would be great.

JD

Reply to
DaileyJohn.20.decij

Ink or stain might ruin the tile when you get it on it,

Reply to
m Ransley

If it's only 5 year old tile, it shouldn't be so bad that you'd want to start trying to color it with anything. All the tiles I've ever seen, the border area between them, if any, is embedded as part of the tile itself. I personally like that style, as it does a great job of hiding the seams.

If it were me, I'd look in the vinyl flooing section of HD or go to a tile store and get a strong cleaner made for that purpose. Try cleaning it as best you can and don't screw around trying to color it.

Reply to
trader4

The color on my border wore off, it wasnt embedded it was a painted on finish on a solid through color tile. Op said it looked 5 yrs old, the tile will look good for 20 years as mine did till replacing it after 25 years since the color doesnt go away the tiles gust wear thinner, the tile base is the grey border which is painted. I think Amtico makes it, its a commercial use solid color through tile product, but not the border. He has 2 choises replace or play with it. Cleaning good for me just removed embeded dirt making it worse., since the seam-border finish was worn away. We just replaced it.

Reply to
m Ransley