Replacing floor around toilet

I dont know if anyone actually discusses home repair on this group since it's mostly all politics now, but if anyone happens to still discuss the intended topic, I am looking for some advice about replacing the floor around my toilet. The floor was made of particle board and it's gotten bad. I need to replace it around the toilet. The toilet is loose and has been a little crooked for a long time now.

I know how to remove the toilet, but I am not sure how to fit the floor around the flange. I plan to use treated 3/4" plywood for the replacement. The problem is that I have always seen the flange sits ON TOP of the floor. The plumbing is PVC so I assume the flange is glued to the pipe. I know that can not be separated.

So, how do I get the flange ON TOP of the floor? The only thing I can think, is to install it in halves and shove it under the flange. I suppose this would work, but I'd like to avoid having a seam in the plywood right under the toilet, especially since I cant add some 2x4 framing under it, with the flange in the middle.

Is there another way to do this?

Reply to
ryan_hill

replying to ryan_hill, Iggy wrote: Yep, in halves or 70/30, but that should only be done to a joist that's right beside the flange's pipe or where your seam is perpendicular to the joists. You're right though, best is to cut-out the flange from the pipe and keep the plywood seamless and to install a new flange on top of the new plywood...as the flange must be screwed into the plywood and fully anchored.

You'll need this to achieve that preferred operation - Internal Diameter PVC Pipe Cutter

may also want to go with a wax-free seal to avoid future problems - Elastic Toilet Gasket (Wax Free) with Toilet Bolts Included
find them much more secure, but have only used them for 10-years so I can't speak to the wax's longevity comparison.

Reply to
Iggy

Plus 1 for going the distance and cutting the PVC and reinstalling the toilet flange as Iggy suggests. Also, if you want to cover the floor with a water-resistant material, don't worry about not finding PT ply in ¼". Go with cementacious board used for bathroom walls and floor with tile. Should work fine with your vinyl sheet goods if you're careful about leveling out indentations where you've screwed it down.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

The issue is the particle board underlayment in wet environment; that was a hack from the git-go; as the other poster says, the most rightest way would be to remove it all. That said, if the rest is still in decent shape, simply replacing that which is bad will likely be serviceable solution.

Reply to
dpb

If doing a major remodel the prudent thing is to replace it all. This is localized problem, easily repaired locally. If the rest of the room is in good shape, no reason to do a major remodel.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Without regard to whether you need to replace it all or not, applying

3 coats of urethane to a bathroom plywood floor is nuts. I've never seen or heard of anyone doing that until just now.
Reply to
trader_4

Oren posted for all of us...

Did they go through the wall or how? Sounds like a bargain. That's about th e price of have a plumber show up around here...

Reply to
Tekkie®