Toilet Flange/New Floor

Hello,

I am putting in a new floor and toilet. Its vinyl sheet and will go over a new 1/4" underlayment. I am uncertain as to where in relation to the top of the new floor should the toilet flange be located?

That is, should it be protruding 1/4" above the top of the new floor? Should it be totally on top of the new floor? Should it be below the top of the new floor? Should it be level with the top of the new floor?

By looking at the bottom of the new toilet, where the seal goes, its flush with the bottom sides of the toilet...thus sitting on level floor the bottom of the bowl will be in contact with the floor as well as the opening that the seal goes around. If the flange is above the top of the floor then it would seem as if the toilet would be seated directly on the flange. Maybe causing it to rock? I don't know how the seal would work either if the bowl is in direct contact with the flange.

Any information appreciated....Thanks for reading my post!

Reply to
jp232

there are several workable answers depending on the toilet. im not sure if this is a new toilet or an old one. if new, i would go with a flange suggested by the people who made the toilet and install it to their specifications. if it came out of somewhere, do whatever the old flange did.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

i just replace a toilet...the floor is concrete with ceramic tile... the flange was level with the top of the tile(so i guess that is where the flange should be on just about any floor... you dont want the flange below the floor or above the floor as the toilet will rock from being too high with the flange holding it up....

Reply to
dbird

Thank you for the helpful information.

Reply to
jp232

Reply to
jp232

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

As long as the flange is no more than 1/4" above the finished floor you should have no problems. More than a 1/4 you may, depends on the toilet. On remodels I like to install the vinyl or ceramic and then the flange. If your flange is low you can use a Kan't leak seal on the top and a regular one on the bottom to make up the difference of up to 1/2".

Colbyt I did not say it was code, I said it works.

Reply to
Colbyt