Replacing basement windows

I have a 40ish year old ranch house in northern Illinois and I want to replace the basement windows. They are the original, single pane metal framed windows. I want something that is more energy efficient. I do not want glass block. They are all in window wells and I think im going to get a secure metal grate on top of the window well that can be opened from the inside only so does anyone have any recommendations on which brands they have had good luck, or success with? Thanks.
There is a type of clear glass that is hard to break even with a hammer and has better energy efficiency by far than the low e double pane windows. Couple of the sunroom manufactures has it and at least one window manufacture.
I used lexan in the past - great stuff, unbreakable (you could drill or cut it with a saw) but it yellows with age.

I put in some Pella which might be helpful for you since they can make custom sizes.