Replace tar roofing on overhang?

My backporch overhang is covered with tar paper.

It is small -- about 4' deep, 8' wide. Pitched roof.

Some of the tar paper has come loose near the front, perhaps from having an overwhelming wisteria vine ripped out? The loose tar paper is cooked-looking.

I want to DIY this job if possible. Do I need to hot-mop a pitched "roof"? My neighbor says only needed for flat roofs. I can't hot-mop on my own, and would rather not hire somebody for such a small job.

If hot-mop not needed, what product should I buy to stick on the replacement tar paper?

Or should I do anything? My neighbor says don't bother; the rain will run off. Yes, but will it in time damage the wood underlayment? And/or lead to termite infestation?

I am old, the house is old, so I'm not building for the ages, but don't want to cheap it either, if there's a serious downside.

Your wisdom welcome.

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

ck out rubber roofing

Reply to
Roemax

Are you sure that it is only tar paper? This isn't meant to be a roof covering, just a "base" for other forms of roofing. I am guessing you have something else. Plain tar paper would probably only last a season or so exposed to the elements.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

OK, looks like I used the wrong term. This product goes right over the wood base. It has a granular surface. I used to know what it's called, but maybe you can refresh me? I went online to find the name -- could it be asphalt roofing? Comes in shingles or rolls?

If that's what it is, do I need hot-mop, or is there something DIY?

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

OK, will check. How do I apply it? Will it go right over wood base? What do I use to stick it down?

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

I would call that "roll roofing". It is an asphalt product. This is certainly the low cost option. It is an easy DIY thing, and would likely last 10-15 years.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

For a roof like that, rather than roll roofing, I'd use a couple short pieces of corrugated barn roof. The dealer will even cut it to length for you on their big machine, for a couple bucks. Just screw the channel in place at the high point, caulk suitably, pop the panels in, and screw down with the gasketed screws. A couple hours work at most. It'll cost a little more than roll roofing, but looks a lot better, IMHO.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Try