Roofing & Tar Paper

I am getting ready to have new shingles put on and have been watching a few different houses that are being done. I noticed that some roofers put the edge flashing over the tar paper and others put the paper over the edging. Which is correct?

Thank You Chris

Reply to
ChrisW

I am getting ready to have new shingles put on and have been watching a few different houses that are being done. I noticed that some roofers put the edge flashing over the tar paper and others put the paper over the edging. Which is correct?

Thank You Chris

Reply to
ChrisW

Tar paper goes over the drip edge on the bottom and on top of the drip egde going up the rakers!

Reply to
Randd01

Drip edge, overlapped with ice shield, overlaped with tar paper. :)

Okay, you're supposed to put the tar paper over the drip edge, but I suspect that it's not that critical since roofers here tend to swing both ways as well. It also depends on roof material and how the edge is finished as to how critical that overlapping seam would be.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Manufacturers ALL say the paper goes UNDER the drip edge on the rake edges so that blowing water will run down the paper instead of underneath and on the deck. It's just that simple yet it is so often done wrongly. Check the label on the shingle package. Check the MFG's Web site. Check the ashphalt roof association. They all say the same thing.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

You can tell some kids that a stove is hot and they will not touch it. Others have to burn themselves before they learn. The stove doesn't care.

Reply to
MaxAluminum