Porcelain vs. ceramic tile installation

I have a choice between a porcelain or ceramic tile for a kitchen. Are there any issues-- degree of difficulty-- installing porcelain vs. ceramic tile?

Reply to
Pelorus

Hi There,

Not a expert but I have found that Porcelain Tile is a lot harder. This hardness and solid color instead of a surface glaze makes them stand up better.

Chef

Reply to
Master Chef Richard Campbell

Not if you have a decent saw. I put porcelain for the kitchen counter and with a $200 wet saw, it cuts fine, albeit slower, than a ceramic tile.

Hard as a rock too. I've drop some pretty heavy objects on it, not a scratch.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I agree with Master and Larry - porcelain is much better and much harder to cut - especially thicknesses over 1/4". I found the cutters with the tungsten wheel work fairly well for 1/4" thick tiles but are almost useless for 3/8" and over. I bought a Grizzly wet tile saw, which worked quite well, for about $350. The first diamond saw blade, which cost about $20, cut only about 22' of 3/8" tile.

You need to check what you are offered for edging - it may well be ceramic.

Good luck!

Have fun!

Sd

Reply to