Rebuilding A Raised Floor

Years ago I had built a raised, carpeted seating platform in my living room. You walk up two steps, and then the seating is another carpeted platform with cushions. The problem is, I want to change it now, and use sofas on top of the platform for seating. This wouldn't be a problem to change except for the way this was built. Intead of of building the raised paltform, and then building the platform seating on top of that, the seating platform was built first (sits on the original floor), and the raised floor was built up around that.

Would there now be any way to take down the seating platform to the same level as the floor? It's just a rectangle, with what looks like "hurdles" every few feet for support. I would like to cover the raised platform with parquet flooring to match the rest of my floor.

Is this doable? Thanks much!

Reply to
Sheellah

Dude, built the thing, or had it built ! You would know better than any of us how it is framed up and how hard it would be to change.

In general, any time you 'piece in' anything, it is going to be sloppier and squeakier than framing it up from scratch. You are talking about maybe what, a 5'x8' platform just sitting on the 'real' floor? Or is it actually tied into the house structure? In either case, I would take it apart and start over, reusing as much of the wood and substructure as appears prudent. For such a small structure, the wood cost is trivial compared to the time/labor to make a lot of trial and error cuts to cut down the seating platform, frame and floor it over, and try to get it all straight and square enough to put wood flooring over. I'd frame it like the floor for a shed or small deck, 2x8 joists the long way, with 2x8 end caps and blocking every 24" or so, topped with 3/4 plywood. You can do two plywood and 2x8 boxes like this stacked up to form the step, or put it on short 4x4 posts, at least 6 of them, and skin the outside with more plywood. Then floor it and panel or carpet the sidewalls to suit. Not rocket science. Do remember to bolt down the couch, or provide pockets to keep the legs from shifting, or something- don't want anyone falling. And many places require hand rails if it is over a certain distance tall. Not that you will ever get inspected, but if heaven forbid, somebody DID fall and got hurt, your insurance company could get pissy about paying if code wasn't followed.

You must have a heck of a tall ceiling and big living room if you need bleacher seats so people can see what is going on.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers