LP is skyhigh $$$ in our area (Westminster MD). I'm looking into
replacing our LP fireplace w/an electric model.
1) I need to cap the gas line. What do I need to do with the flue?
2) electric fp , 120vac vs. 220 vac; is worth the expense of running a
220 line to the fireplace? p=ie , 220 will draw less current, any
3) any qualified professionals in Westminster MD area? This is not
somethng I want to tackle myself.
thnx in advance
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:13:02 -0800, HulloSon wrote:
cost of LP gas will be going down after the winter of 08-09 passes.
Current cost of LP related to last summer's economy breaking high prices
of Crude Oil. I, of course, am presuming your fireplace is not your
primary house heating source.
IMHO, cost of Electricity will not go down as much, since the higher
Utility revenues will allow building of "Greener" generation plants.
Expect Electric bills to grow per cost of Kilowatt-hours goes up.
Make your decision based on heating, or aesthetics, but not on current
cost of LP gas.
And yes, both 120 and the 240 volt systems will probably draw the same
amount energy, but you will have less power loss in the electric lines
with the higher voltage (power lines heat up slightly with higher
Do some cost comparisons first. Electric is still the highest price inmost
areas. Do you actually heat or is this just for looks? With a 220V you can
have more power, thus more heat. The flue will have to be blocked. I'd cap
it at the top to keep rain and birds out of it.
A couple of years ago I closed off a wood burning fireplace and put in
an electric insert. Wife did not like the smell of burning wood and
fireplace inspection said it was out of code and difficult to clean
because of too sharp a bend. Chimney guy capped top while I also had
him seal mortar on top that was cracking. I cleaned out fireplace and
sealed damper with silicone caulk. 120 vac insert which needed no extra
wiring only cost about $100-200 since I used existing fireplace glass
screen. Looks nice with artificial flames. Worse part of job was
cleaning up from years of wood burning.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.