repair section of hardwood

How do I repair a section of hardwood?

Actually, I tore out the carpet, and found one area that had a fireplace mantle removed (6ft x 2ft), and the area filled with plywood and vinyl tiles. I want to remove the plywood/vinyl, and insert some oak hardwood. I managed to fine some old hardwood, same width and thickness, but some of the tongue/groove are damaged on the replacements.

Can I staple the replacements in using 1-9/16 staples?? Can I glue them to the subfloor? And maybe to each other? How do I fit the last piece in that will be against the wall?

Any other suggestions?

samruai.

Reply to
samurai

First, of course, prepare the subfloor to be flat, level and even with the existing section.

Ideally, it would be good to remove some of the short existing pieces where the floor is cut and work the new pieces in so the patching pattern isn't so obvious.

To replace, start at the edge away from the wall. It would be easiest if that is the direction the tongue is facing, but if it's other way 'round, it's possible.

Forget the glue and try to avoid the staples if at all possible--don't say whether your thinking through the face or edge, but they won't hold well long-term.

If you have the room, use a power nailer or pneumatic if you have one. If you don't, for a small area you can drill pilot holes and use cut nail or nail. Depending on which side you're dealing with, nail through the corner of the bead or the groove and use a set to seat the nails so the next will seat. The last section is always the pain..may need to either cut the bead or take off the bottom side of the groove and face nail close to the wall where the baseboard/shoe mould will cover. Sometimes one can put the last two in together in an inverted vee and work them both down together.

It's just a case of "worrying" it together as you go with a few judicious tricks here and there...

--

Reply to
dpb

You really don't need to use old pieces. You can ue new ones that match so you don't have the problems with the tounge and groove will be good. Then refinish the whole room. If you try to just repair and only finish the repaired part, then it's going to look like it's been repaired.

Reply to
scott21230